• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Switching from Finasteride to Dutasteride and oral Minoxidil

H

headon

Valued member
I am concerned about switching from Finasteride to Dutasteride. I have heard some negative feedback about Dutasteride and side effects. I have been taking 1.5mg of Finasteride for about 7 years. I feel like it's stopped working..? Is this possible. A reputable HT Doc suggested I switch to 0.5mg of Dutasteride AND 0.5mg of oral Minoxidil. Your thoughts please..?
thanks

R

Risingforehead

Reading up on Finasteride it does seem that it does loose it's effectiveness for some after a number of years, i was under the impression this was a gradual process though after many years. What makes you think it no longer works for you? Never heard of oral Minoxidil. How long would you have to be on Dutasteride to see if it's working if you trial it?

H

headon

Valued member
Hi Risingforhead, I had a recent consultation with a top doc here (Melbourne Australia) and he suggested I may want to replace my Finasteride with Dutasteride. A top doctor in US agreed and suggested 0.5mg of Dutasteride. I have decided instead, for now, to INCREASE my dosage of Finesteride and see how that goes. Regarding Minoxidil in oral form, I believe it's available here (Australia) but not as yet in US. How long before Dutaseride starts working? I believe it's 3-4 weeks..? I will be returning to US for my Final Repair early next year. ciao!

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Some people do report Finasteride losing its effectiveness after a number of years, not sure why this happens. People usually switch to Dutasteride once they`ve gone down the route of upping the Finasteride dosage.
There is no given time frame for Dutestaride to start working. I believe doctors will advise giving it 6 months.
Keep us posted on how you get on.
All the best.
Bm.

H

headon

Valued member
Thanks you to Risingforhead and Bigmac for your input. I have decided to uP my dosage of Finastaride for now and see how this goes. Also in organising my Final (3rd) Repair happening early in 2020. thanks guys!

M

MPBsucks1234

Valued member
I have been on both and tried dut 2.5mg back in 2008/9. It did help but I was a bit silly then in using that amount. Swtiched back to fin and it helped but hairloss is quite aggressive so fin has unfortunately not helped for as long as I would have hoped.

Goodluck with your repair!

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
I think your plan of upping the Fin dose first would be the way I would go too before trying Dut. I was contemplating switching to Dut myself a little while ago as I thought Fin wasn't as effective for me as it once was, I changed brands and went to Proscar and it seems to have helped so I'm not changing yet.

Last edited:
H

headon

Valued member
I have decided NOT to go ahead with Dutasteride for now. BUT Any thoughts about Finasteride versus Proscar? I have always been on Finasteride. bullnut I was wondering if you still believe that Proscar has produced better results than Finasteride. Thinking of switching but Proscar is quite a bit more expensive but will change over if you feel it has worked better for you. Anyone else have an opinion? thanx!