• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Tattoos

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
This topic has been discussed on Mytheks thread and I wanted to start a seperate thread rather than hijack his. This idea is that tattoos can be an option for hiding scars. Certainly FUE is the ultimate way to go about things but lets be realist and know that it is very costly and is a surgical procedure. Moreover, graft placement into the scar (if you have 2 or more) during a strip procedure is also a possibility. But if money and down time with a surgery is a concern, is a tattoo a viable option?? Very interesting question.

I guess that there is some talk of things turning green several years later. I have never heard this myself and believe that it might be due to antiquated techniques and ink but nonetheless it requires due dilegence in research. Personally I believe that someone needs to become the guinea pig and try it out and let us know. LOL. Go for it Timbo.

Lets get this thread moving as it really is something that needs more thought and could possibly be a great thing.

NN

timuk

timuk

My member is cooler than NN's
Good one NN..

I was thnking along the lines of having "MADE IN THE UK" on my forehead.... this would divert peoples attention from my hair...

Anyway, on a more serious note... this is something that I am going to look into. As for temporary tattoos.... there is a company local to me that advertise henna tattoos which last for about 3 to 5 years... this could be an option.

I had looked at another company in the UK some time ago... but cant find them now. They were invloved in using tattoos for scars and facial birthmarks etc etc.. they even had an example of an HT scar before and after. I remember being impressed with the result... I think I got to their site from a link on another forum... but cant remember which one... so the hunt continues...

Its sometimes hard with only half a brain !!

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Nice idea you got there timbo.

I've seen tattooed eyebrows and I have to admit that after several years you can see the ink fading and turning greenish. The face probably handles the tattoo ink differently than back of the head where you don't get the direct sunlight. It is an interesting idea to see the donor scar tattooed if you really don't have enough donor to plant grafts into it. Maybe a combination of grafts and tattoo into scar might work too so you don't have to use up as many grafts?

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
Don't get me wrong, I advocate that the best way to deal with things is thru graft placement as it certainly is the most natural, however, there are those with limited options whether it be donor availability or financial constraints.

Now the question comes into play if you choose a tattoo as an option, what approach do you take:

1. Try and mimic hair growth

2. Attempt to camo with limiting contrast of the whiteness of the scar and match skin elsewhere.

Two seperate approaches and both could be effective depending on the individual and there scar issues. Again, I suggest that maybe Timuk can do half and half. In fact, I will help pay for it in the benefit of helping this online community.:) Careful with the "made in the UK" idea Tim as I tried the same thing on an area of my body but didn't plan very well and all I got was "Made i". The finished product was supposed to be "Made in Canada";;D

NN

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
With tattoos you would need to start researching as there are lots of cowboys out there.

I have a number of tattoos and there is a big difference in quality.Some have faded very fast,this may be down to the quality of ink used or the tattoo artists capabilities.

Some when looking closely at them you can see where they have overshot with the ink and not stayed in the boundaries of the outline.This of course would be very alarming if say you were having eyebrow tattoos/permanent make up.

For scars on the back of your head imo it would not matter much if they strayed a little out of the scar tissue area.

Again i would say if you are considering this type of work try and meet some patients in person so you can evaluate the work for yourself.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
I agree bm,
firstly i would look into a cosmetic tatooist with a good reputation and try and avoid your back street skull and crossbones seaside resort place. As far as im aware there are qualifications and standards attainable in cosmetic tatooing and i would certainly make sure your chosen clinic/person has these

timuk

timuk

My member is cooler than NN's
Sounds good to me....

I still cant find the original site where I saw examples of "medical" tattoos....

the hunt continues...

Janna, you are right.... I guess fading would be cut down by the lack of sunlight.... good thinking..

NN... my idea was along the lines of limiting the contrast... something similar to "permanent" Dermatch ??

Also.. regarding the fund... was that towards the "made in uk"... if so I guess the end result would read something along the lines of

"MADE IN THE UK" - "FUNDED IN CANADA" ;;D

Shang

Shang

Sheepish Member
If they can do what it says on the website, I think i'd do it if I was a high NW level, depends what it looks like in the flesh.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Exactly,do you believe everything you read on a website.

They have been doing this for some time now but i have yet to see a patient on a forum documenting the whole thing.

Shang

Shang

Sheepish Member
Hence why I said i'd have to see some patients in the flesh....

J

JJ09

I have tattooed my scars, not only has the ink faded/turned blue €¦I believe it may be the cause of my now painful areas to touch, I don €™t recommend it.

This has been discussed in further detail on another post if you wish to search it. ;)

janna

janna

Valuable Member
I have seen more and more tattooed donor scars and it's not looking very good.

It fades too quickly. I have not come across anyone who has been pleased with their choice to get their donor scars tattooed.

Z

zionaxel

Valued member
The result ´s from http://www.hishairclinic.com/gallery/ do look very good. But not seen it in the flesh so a little sceptical. But for the shaved fade look it seems to pull it off..

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
there seems to be more and more of these types of places opening....this guy seems to think HISHAIRCLINIC copied his idea and are not as good?

http://artistryconceptshairreplication.com/hishairclinic.htm

again same as zion im on the fence re this type of procedure as i havent seen anyone in person so who knows*nl.

I think though it would be a bad situation if you got it wrong and was stuck like this forever as bad HT'S suck but a tattoo'd head must SUCK bigtime too;)

Z

zionaxel

Valued member
Especailly with i love mum written on the back of your head..

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
I too sit on the fence. I have never seen it in person and certainly it would suck big time if you got it wrong.

I can emphatically say at this point though, that I DO NOT endorse the hairline work. Possibly the scar concealment is ok as you can typically grow your hair longer if it is an issue.

NN