• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

The Big 3 to Fight Hair Loss

K

KLB

Ok people, been on 1mg Propecia every day for 4 years. Using Minoxidil 5% once per day. Using Nizoral 2% twice a week. No supplements. Eat a healthy balanced diet.
Quite a big shed at month 5. My gains started around month 7. Hair improved with added density and stability.

My partner and I are planning to start a family early next year but she is freaking out about the warnings of Propecia to unborn children. I was thinking it may be safer if I switch to RU58841 which apparently has less chance of side effects. I don`t have any sides with my current regimen.

I don`t want to lose what I`ve gained if I can help it. A new life is precious and more important than hair but if I could find a compromise I`d be happy.
Has anyone switched over successfully and have you started a family while being on any of the medications?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi KLB.
I had my second child while taking Finasteride. He is fit and healthy. I know many others do stop using it while trying to conceive. RU58841 has not been FDA approved and as far as I know, there aren`t any full clinical studies on possible side effects. As far as I`m aware you can use it as long as your partner does not come into contact with it.
I would double check with a doctor.

Reactions: KLB
bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Finasteride is definitely the most effective and most proven... if you are worried about conceiving and any problems that might affect the child I would have a chat with your doctor or just stop the Finasteride and hope you conceive quickly.
As far as I know you`re ok to continue with Minoxidil.

Last edited:
Reactions: KLB
K

KLB

I’m leaning towards stopping it with the hope of conceiving quickly. My GP has advised that I stop usage for 2 weeks before trying to conceive.

I’m going with his advice. Bringing a new life into the world is more important than my hair. I’m hoping we are successful relatively quickly which will enable me to jump straight back on.
I am continuing the use of Minoxidil. With that and Nizoral I’m hoping that I don’t lose much ground.

K

KLB

Quick update on my progress. Hair situation has not changed, no extra hair fall after stopping Propecia, no change in Semen, although it`s never been an issue, no news on the baby front.
Thanks for the good wishes.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear there are no issues.
Thanks for the update.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Have you considered using a herbal supplement like Saw Palmetto......if it ends up taking you a little longer to conceive then it might be an option?

I'd suggest doing a little research first mind just to double check it's safe but I assume it is.

K

KLB

Have you considered using a herbal supplement like Saw Palmetto......if it ends up taking you a little longer to conceive then it might be an option?

I'd suggest doing a little research first mind just to double check it's safe but I assume it is.
I looked into it in the early stages of my research but couldn’t find any conclusive proof that it actually works.
I’ll certainly have another delve in to see if I can find any concrete.

M

mania

It's nice to go for it and try the big 3 to fight against the hair loss I would say best of luck...

K

KLB

Big announcement guys. W e have been blessed, my partner's pregnancy test was positive yesterday, to be sure she did one earlier that was positive. I know it`s early and that we`ll have to have it officially confirmed but right now we`re overjoyed. Bst Christmas wish we could have hoped for.

Assuming everything is fine I`ll be resuming my Propecia regimen.

Thanks for all the support from everyone.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations on your good news. Definitely made your Christmas.
All the best.
Bm.