• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Thinking outside the safe donor area!

H

HairHunter

Valued member
Hi Guys,

Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on strategically taking grafts outside the traditional donor area to mainly soften the contrast between the safe zone and surrounding hair. It’s something I’m considering for my 3rd HT.

I’ve attached a pic of my donor 3-4 months after my 2nd HT shaved to #1. I personally feel the contrast has improved over time but there still is a difference in density noticeable at #1 and below. I don’t think it would be noticeable if the surrounding hair was softened to match.

I think it’s worth taking a chance and using the grafts in areas that won’t suffer if the grafts miniaturize in time eg adding density to the hairline.

My thoughts is that it would give more consistency to the sides and back of the head.

All expert opinions welcome, it’s not a topic I see often on the forums

Attachments

• 109DF0EF-E229-455C-A817-EFC59877E675.jpeg
    109DF0EF-E229-455C-A817-EFC59877E675.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 196
H

HairHunter

Valued member
I’m also very guilty of trailing the threads and never uploading anything. See below a couple of images of my situation. Dr. Demirsoy was my surgeon for my 2nd surgery just shy of 3000 grafts. Top surgeon couldn’t speak highly enough of him, made me look normal again and blitzed my Fut scar. unfortunately he doesn’t do bht which id like for HT #3 so I’m on the hunt for the right clinic for me.

In the interest of clarity please note I have a small amount of Toppik in the hairline pic.

Attachments

• E5D9C114-30ED-4F89-B0B3-70DA5ABF42AC.png
    E5D9C114-30ED-4F89-B0B3-70DA5ABF42AC.png
    495.4 KB · Views: 206
  • AB5204BE-3AB4-424F-851C-B721CDD47DEF.jpeg
    AB5204BE-3AB4-424F-851C-B721CDD47DEF.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 195
  • 2C87AC42-1718-40D2-B743-57E5693C8B57.jpeg
    2C87AC42-1718-40D2-B743-57E5693C8B57.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 211
  • 1A0BDDC0-688D-4CA4-B3C5-A23CBA573846.jpeg
    1A0BDDC0-688D-4CA4-B3C5-A23CBA573846.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 183
  • E4E3C236-8290-400B-AC8E-DD52305A6B3A.jpeg
    E4E3C236-8290-400B-AC8E-DD52305A6B3A.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 174
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Many clinics stray outside the safer zone to blend the transition. This does help in disguising the area.
As you know this outside area has a higher risk of the hair not being as permanent as hair taken from the safer zone. I believe most people who go down the HT route will be in some type of hair loss medication in the hope of holding onto these hairs, therefor reducing the risk.
Placing them in areas that aren’t as visible is advisable and spread out. If you do lose them in the future, it should look like natural thinning.

PaddyIrishman1

PaddyIrishman1

Other options you might consider are using your beard grafts to blend in which works really well.
SMP could be another thought.
....Paddy...

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on strategically taking grafts outside the traditional donor area to mainly soften the contrast between the safe zone and surrounding hair. It’s something I’m considering for my 3rd HT.

I’ve attached a pic of my donor 3-4 months after my 2nd HT shaved to #1. I personally feel the contrast has improved over time but there still is a difference in density noticeable at #1 and below. I don’t think it would be noticeable if the surrounding hair was softened to match.

I think it’s worth taking a chance and using the grafts in areas that won’t suffer if the grafts miniaturize in time eg adding density to the hairline.

My thoughts is that it would give more consistency to the sides and back of the head.

All expert opinions welcome, it’s not a topic I see often on the forums

As @Bigmac has said, this is not a new idea and has been performed many times before. That said it does open many questions regarding donor harvesting protocols and the life expectancy of a potential hair transplant result. Including the distribution of the "non-safe hair".

Natural hair characteristics including healing will play some role in the donor contrast after the area has healed but one large aspect to minimise the contrast is having a donor harvesting extraction protocol to maximise the safe donor area. The area can be mapped out quite successfully and especially when shaved to identify areas of miniaturisation The safe area can be calculated and the FU density measured and then if the extraction is spread over the maximum safe area mapped and assuming the donor is not over-harvested then a relatively large number of grafts can be harvested and even with a short hair style there is little to no contrast.

Even with a wide extraction pattern the larger the procedure will have a greater impact on the contrast left once healed. This is especially the case if there is no educated harvesting pattern. Each Dr will have their own interpretation on how much can be taken from the donor over one or multiple procedures. The % removed and what is left, how much space should be left between each extraction and how many FU can be removed per cm2 without causing an obvious "hair-less area". This is a problem when chasing big numbers or a Dr working on a lower than average hair density donor. With an educated extraction pattern it is possible to minimise the look of "hair-less areas" so even when healed and having a short hair style the contrast is hardly if visible at all. But the closer the extraction points and taking adjacent FU or overlapping extractions will increase this contrast to make it very obvious.

Especially when treating lower NW stages and a younger hair loss sufferer it is harder to measure a potential safe zone of course. Looking into the family hair loss history is one way to gauge the potential future hair loss pattern. Taking potentially unsafe or DHT-prone follicluar units will obviously result in hair loss in the future. The distribution of these DHT-prone hairs over the recipient area can lead to an unnatural hair growth pattern being left. Especially if the hairs are used in an isolated area or an exposed area, for example the immediate front hairline. If the potentially DHT-prone FU are blended with safe or existing hair the impact if and when they minaturise or fall out will be lessened to a loss of hair density, as long as distributed over a wide area the loss could be minimal. That said the practice would involve knowingly removing and placing DHT-prone or at best potentially DHT-prone hairs that have a shelf life and therefore detrimental to the result they give their patient overtime.

Last edited:
R

Risingforehead

Do you take any preventative hair loss medications Hair Hunter?

H

HairHunter

Valued member
I applied Rogaine Foam for 12 months after Ht2, it probably held the miniaturized hair in the crown a bit longer than they would have stuck around. Nothing before or since.

My pattern has pretty much been the same for over 10 years now so I don’t really see a massive benefit to meds for my case.

I started taking Biotin a few weeks back and noticed an a huge improvement in the overall quality of my hair which was surprising