• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

UK about to choose a clinic and need advise

iamjezz

Hi 34 years old based in the UK, hair thinning for the last 6 years , very gradual and reason for doing something about this / slowing down. FUT seem to be the treatment that i like the most.​
I've been on finasteride for the last 3 months and in two minds to switch to dutasteride as i've been told it give me twice the chance since going to "FUE clinics".​
Been quoted by fueclinics.com based in the midlands england with Dr. N Zakynthinakis doing the work for 5.5k,however i have found it hard finding out more on the company and DR.​
I have a limited budget (under 7K) however plan on going to 2 next two clinics are Dr Farjo and Dr Edward Maitland which i know will mostly likely cost more as they charge by the graft and are popular.​
Not sure if i should switch drugs and should i be looking for a more ambitious hairline or not. Like wise is it advisable to have 2 rather than one big surgery.​
I have attached picture of the current state , which i didnt realise was as bad as it was untill i took them. Guessing i am norwood 2 on the scale but could be wrong​
paperclip.png
Attached Thumbnai

Attachments

• side of head.jpg
    side of head.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 245
  • front of hair.jpg
    front of hair.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 275
  • hair line.jpg
    hair line.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 268
  • hair parted.jpg
    hair parted.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Looking at the top of your head I'd say you are in the region of a Norwood 3 plus. Stabalising your hair loss with Finasteride is what I did once I learned it was available back in 2005. Personally I would stick to Finasteride, it still works for me to this date.
How many grafts were you quoted?
What area did they say they would cover?
I think the hairline looks fine where it is drawn, going too low may cause complications later in life.
Have the rest of your consults to help you make a decision on what you want to do.
Let us know how you get on.
All the best.
Bm.

PaddyIrishman1

PaddyIrishman1

@iamjezz holding onto your native hair will be your top priority, if considering a HT at this stage , as you have plenty of it .
Try and establish what your hair loss pattern would most likely be ,as the years progresses .
Its important to manage your doner wisely for the long term planning.
Do plenty of research with different doctors, dont be afraid to cast your net out to further waters to gain as much information as you can.
All the best,
..........Paddy.......

iamjezz

Thanks im hoping the finasteride will kick in at some point and thicken up the middle back , taking pictures every month so will give it 7 months and see if there is any improvement. If nothing changes i will most likely make the switch. I now there is zero chance of improving the front which is why im looking at a HT.

The first clinic do a fixed price and don't charge per graft , the area is the first black line and the middle front where it is currently thin. However from what ive seen 1700-2000 would improve the hairline and thickness of the front. There isn't any "boldness" in my family just thinning with gradual recession not much off what mine is now.

My plan in my mind is to FUT then once healed look at tattooing the scar with FUE in the future should i want to add more however always worried about "shock loss" .

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
How many grafts did the clinic say they will go for? With strip, they have to calculate what numbers they want, they can go back and extend a strip but if they take from say ear to ear and very thin, then they can`t take any more afterward. So a fixed price for how many as there needs to be some surgery data associated with it?

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Just wanted to add stay away from FUECLINICS.COM if it's the same clinic Jeremy Isherwood ran then I wouldnt go anywhere near them dude.

iamjezz

Just wanted to add stay away from FUECLINICS.COM if it's the same clinic Jeremy Isherwood ran then I wouldnt go anywhere near them dude.

Yes you are correct , it is the one run by Jeremy , i haven't been able to find any "forum" type feedback so worried that yours is negative , is this from what you have seen or work you had done? appropriate your input

iamjezz

How many grafts did the clinic say they will go for? With strip, they have to calculate what numbers they want, they can go back and extend a strip but if they take from say ear to ear and very thin, then they can`t take any more afterward. So a fixed price for how many as there needs to be some surgery data associated with it?

They didnt say they just said they would fill the area above the line and just being my current hair line.They showed me previous work they had done which looked good and went through all the details like microscopes , 1,2s in the front hairline ect.

That being said i have been in contact with the Farjo clinic and its looking about 1/3 more expensive if i need something like 1750-2000 grafts that being said for the positive feedback they have i would rather save / get finance knowing ive got the right transplant first time around. They also seem to have a presence on this forum so hopefully they will see this but i know i need a face to face in confirm the recommended about of grafts.

ohh and in my first post i meant to say i think im a norewood 4 , due to shape and thinning on top

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Personally I don`t like it when numbers are not quoted for the reasons I mentioned earlier. To simply say they will fill the area in is not good enough. You also only want single hair grafts in the hairline.

Pete from Farjo

Pete from Farjo

Valued member
Hi iamjezz,

Looking at your photos you appear to have thinning across a large area so you're doing the right thing by using finasteride to try to stabilise things. A sensible plan would be to restore an age-appropriate hairline with a couple of thousand grafts and let the meds work to hopefully stabilise things in the crown.

As you mention, the next step should be a face to face consultation to formulate a plan, also to check your donor availability/quality etc.

All the best.
Pete

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Yes you are correct , it is the one run by Jeremy , i haven't been able to find any "forum" type feedback so worried that yours is negative , is this from what you have seen or work you had done? appropriate your input

Isherwood is the guy that managed the Norton clinic and was partly responsible for butchering hundred of men in the UK....I have experience of this and would avoid him like the plague, he has no scruples and is just a horrible man.

iamjezz

Isherwood is the guy that managed the Norton clinic and was partly responsible for butchering hundred of men in the UK....I have experience of this and would avoid him like the plague, he has no scruples and is just a horrible man.
Thanks for letting me know , avoided a bullet by the sound of things

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Let us know how you get on with any other consults you have planned.