• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

What is the best natural dht blocker?

P

pdoc

Valued member
I was looking to see whats the best natural dht blocker. l was using Dutasteride. 17 months on them till 2 weeks ago. was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and was reading about some side affects. it resulted in increased blood glucose levels. plus can affect the liver which l go to the hospital on friday for an ultrasound to check that out. l am pretty healthy. l watch what l eat. don't smoke or drink.

E

Edsarn

Really sorry to read this @pdoc - let us know how you get on with your scan.

I have just read an article in the BMJ from 2019, where they compared the incidence of type 2 diabetes among patients taking dutasteride, finasteride, and tamsulosin for the treatment of male benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). They concluded that men taking either dutasteride or finasteride were at a "modest increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes." I tried to find dosages in the article, but could not see them. I am assuming they are higher than those taking these drugs for hair loss.

The authors speculated (based on other findings) that the increased risk might be due to hormonal changes caused from taking Fin/Dut, particularly, in androgens or glucocorticoids, which could cause androgen deficiency which is linked to insulin resistance. Also, lower levels of testosterone circulating in the blood are linked to type 2 diabetes.

It is worrying. Although I don't take finasteride any longer, I have cycled on and off it over a number of years and there is a history of type 2 diabetes in my family.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Saw Palmetto is used by some people. It is weak compared to Fin and Dut but may help you.

P

pdoc

Valued member
Thanks Edsarn for the information. scan done today and they said my GP will let me know in a weeks time what the results are. thanks Bigmac about Saw palmetto will look it up. hope everyone has a nice weekend.

B

Bobbins

@Edsarn I was given the impression that free testosterone increased slightly when on finesteride (since less is converted to DHT). Am I misinformed?

E

Edsarn

@Bobbins - not sure to be honest. I can send you the link to paper I read in BMJ. It was a paper in which the authors tracked thousands of men over 5 years.

E

Edsarn

P.s., the doses were .5mg of durasteride and 5 mg of finasteride. As such, the 5 mg of finasteride is higher than 1mg when the drug is used for hair loss.

B

Bobbins

@Bobbins - not sure to be honest. I can send you the link to paper I read in BMJ. It was a paper in which the authors tracked thousands of men over 5 years.
I've read the paper, though couldn't see the mention of free testosterone being reduced

As you say, it does indicate a possible marginal increase in insulin resistance for patients taking 5 times the finesteride dosage recommended for hair loss, however previous studies have shown no correlation

arthurSam

arthurSam

Finasteride may induce diabetics type 2 and prostatic cancer say my surgeon urologist so I think you have to take it as topical form to not have any fina in blood

P

pdoc

Valued member
Has anyone used dht blocker shampoos. and if so. do they work?

B

Bobbins

Finasteride may induce diabetics type 2 and prostatic cancer say my surgeon urologist so I think you have to take it as topical form to not have any fina in blood
So may taking the stairs two at a time (possibly, though I, like your urologist have no conclusive research to support my claim).

There are studies which show it reduces BMI on average and lowers the risk of some cancers.

It's human nature to have biases on topics like this. You and I will both unintentionally discount studies which do not support our own views on the safety of the medication.

Ultimately I'd advise anyone considering taking any medication to research the potential side effects and the likelihood of th occuring.