• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

what level of density

J

Johntyboy

Valued member
Hi i havent got that much donor left so want to use it wisely, whats the lowest level of density that would give me a decent relatively non balding look if i was to shave down?

cheers

Sparky

Sparky

Valued member
Maybe 30 per sq cm. Do you have strip scars though?

Stingray76

Stingray76

Can't re member
It will probably depend a bit on your hair characteristics too.

Steven from BHR shaves down and it looks really good. He will probably be able to tell you his density.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Have you got any pictures you can post as this will help to give you our opinions on what density may work for you.

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
Good question.

As you say the donor needs to be used wisely.

Your density, hair groupings, characteristics, surface area to cover will all play a major part in what can or can't be achieved.

One must appreciate that a shaved look stilll needs a lot of grafts as essentially the hair is too short to give any layering effect of one over another that most depend upon with a transplant in order to give the illusion of coverage, so, a good density and design is needed.

In my case, my loss was extensive, but as a positive I had very good donor density and planned from day 1 to some degree my surgery and design.

The frontal hairline needs good density as uses single haired grafts and then as you go back the density will drop and the bigger groupings are employed. The change will be subtle as especiallly with a shaved look there is nothing to hide, so everything is open and visible to the viewer.

The skill of the surgeon will really be a major factor in this along with the angles of the implanted grafts to give that covered look even when the hair is kept short.

I don't have 65 FU per cm2 all over my recipient area or I would have needed 14,000 grafts plus to treat the area, but, I do have a look that gives an illusion of density and pleasing to the eye as kindly commented on by Stingray and others who have seen me. I do have this density in areas but as said, a blend is then needed in order to get the required coverage and not overload an area.

If you can upload some pictures then I am sure the forum readers will be able to give you some good advice.

Sparky

Sparky

Valued member
Well I haven't been able to tell where it is 65 and where it isn't so it's worked out really well.

topccat29

topccat29

29 year HT veteran
What stands out about Steve €™s work other than it is impossible to tell that anything has been done. Is that if you view his before pictures and note where his balding area begins and ends it is extremely hard to find that transition zone without referring back to the pictures again to realize where it was located by just looking close up at his head.

I have noticed on some patients of other clinics that when a mix of scalp, beard and bodyhair is used that the transition zone clearly stands out especially when the hair is cut this short. It is very noticeable and it catches the eye instantly as something does not seem quite right.

This is the difference between just harvesting massive amounts of hair and placing them without much artistic thought and methodically harvesting and knowing exactly where each fue needs to be placed in order to achieve an aesthetically pleasing result.

It €™s also the very same reason why some posters who have asked about planting beard hair in their strip scars sometimes will not get a pleasing result and are turned away by ethical clinics. Because the transition will hit you like a punch in the face when the patient wants to cut his hair very short and the clinic knows this and doesn €™t want to put the patient in a worse position.