• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

What questions to ask during a consultation

B

boss hogg

This is my first post, please offer your valueable insight to my following questions

What optimal questions should i ask the Dr. during a consultation? How accurately can the Dr. predict my hairloss pattern? Is there a fee for consultations?

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
hi boss hogg welcome to the forum

1. what kind of procedures do you perform.

2. if he performs strip(fut) What type of donor closure does the hair transplant surgeon use?does he use sutures or staples? and do you have any pictures of your donor closures.

3.What type and size of instrumentation does the hair transplant doctor use to make recipient incisions?

4.What is the length of time that this hair transplant physician has been performing hair transplant surgery?ask about his credentials and experience

5.How many hair transplant technicians are employeed with the hair transplant clinic?

6.What is the length of time each hair transplant technician has worked for the hair restoration clinic?

7. ask if you are a good candidate and ask for an explanation to why?

8.What is the total number of follicular unit grafts that I have available in the donor area?

9. ask how many follicular units i will need to reach my desired goal and ask whether you will need future procedures

10. ask how dense it will look afterwards

11.ask how good your donor elasticity is and how you can improve this prior to surgery.

12.make sure you discuss YOUR exact goals (hairline, temples, forelock, crown, hair density, hair coverage, etc)

13. ask how many grafts the doctor will use in your balding area

14. ask if your goals are reasonable and if they can be met with your hair characterisitcs

15. very importantly ask if you can meet or talk to previous patients in similar circumstances to yourself. Also ask to see testimonials and plenty of photos.

16. Ask about costs involved eg. prices of consults(if applicable), amounts per graft and additional aftercare, medications etc as most clinics vary from some degree and its good to know exactly where you stand!

17.Can I get a reduced fee for cash or short notice surgery? Travel reimbursement?and ask how long their wating list is(can be a good sign as to how good they are lol)

18. ask about recovery times and amount of time you will need of work

19 ask about medications such as propecia and finasteride

20.For follicular unit transplantation (FUT), does this hair transplant clinic dissect hair grafts from the strip using a microscope?

21. ask about post op and pre op instructions.

22. MAKE SURE YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH THE CLINIC AND THAT YOU ARE NOT PRESSURED IN ANY WAY.....at the end of the day its your head and if something doesnt feel right walk away!!!!

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
I can't really add too much to what Bullit already provided. Some clinics might charge for the consultation however typically there is no charge. The key is that you go to a reputable clinic. There are really only a handful in the world that are world class. Do your homework!!

NN

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Wow, that's a very thorough list you have BN. I'm happy I didn't have to answer ALL of that before your procedure.....lol. Seriously, it's a very good list and more patients really need to ask all those questions before taking the plunge. I'm still amazed at how many patients still get suckered into having poor work performed on them and paying exorbitant fees for the priviledge.

"How accurately can the Dr. predict my hairloss pattern?"

Since there really isn't a sure fire way to predict your final pattern of loss, it's wise to address your current and future loss with your ht doctor. Make sure they have your best interest in mind.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Great ppost BN,boss hogg i hope that helps and you find the forum helpful.

Goodluck with your research.

F

folliclediabolical

Valued member
There's also a couple of questions youd want THEM to ask you without being prompted:

Are you on any hair loss medications,or dyou intend taking any to combat further loss?
What's the hairloss like on your mother/father's side of the family?

id be worried about any clinic that didnt ask these.

B

Bastion

Make sure you have these wrote down, if possible take someone with you as your emotions will be running high and its easy to forget to ask the relevant questions.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Bastion wrote:
Make sure you have these wrote down, if possible take someone with you as your emotions will be running high and its easy to forget to ask the relevant questions.
I totally agree. ;)

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Have you had any consultations yet.

If so what was the outcome.

Thanks bm.

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
Something that comes up too often when we do consultations is the density measurement. Guys say they have had it assessed before and told it was good to great, and we measure under magnification it is invariably average and below sometimes, and when questioned the answer is always the same, "the docs ran his hands through my hair, had a look and said it was good.

Ask how the density is going to be measured, by natural eyesight or under some type of magnification. A correct diagnoses is very important, for now but also your future donor management.

B

boss hogg

Nervousnelly wrote:
I can't really add too much to what Bullit already provided. Some clinics might charge for the consultation however typically there is no charge. The key is that you go to a reputable clinic. There are really only a handful in the world that are world class. Do your homework!!

NN
Thanks for all the suggestions, they have been noted. Nervousnelly, who are the world class clinics in your opinion? I realise that anything posted on the Internet can easily be minipulated.