• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Wheres the best places to get staples removed

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
I appreciate this as been asked and answered before, but for the sake of newbies ill ask again. For out of town patients that are unable to remain near the clinic what are the best places to get the donor staples removed and how much does it cost etc. I was wandering if anyone had any stories regarding this, and how do the people removing them react when you tell them you have had a ht. Also are there any special tools required to remove them you need to take with you.:)

janna

janna

Valuable Member
There are mainly two types of closures - one is using sutures and the other is using staples. There are few clinics who use soley disolveable sutures - this technique you do not need to worry about getting them removed, but majority of doctors use the nylon sutures that need to be removed 7-14 days post op. Staples or nylon sutures both require separate types of instruments for removal.

The best places in the UK are probably the walk in clinics - I hear it's free for the service. In the US, a HT clinic, your general practicioner or walk in center. From my experience, there are different degrees of comfort level in who takes out the sutures or staples for each patient. I assist with many of our patients who want the reassurance of a HT clinic to take a look at the closure site and remove their sutures/staples. I call a HT clinic near the patient's homes. Majority of these clinics remove the sutures/staples for our paients as a courtesy service, therefore, there is no fee. Other patients are fine having any medical personnel take them out and I believe it's covered by their insurance. At a walk in center, I would suspect the fee may be around $50.

Taking out the staples is easier to learn (in my opinion) than sutures. But you do need to have the correct instruments for both. For sutures, you need a pair of suture scissors and basically a tweezer. For staples, you need a skin staple remover. Many clinics do not use staples so they may not have a remover at their clinic. We stock staple removers for our patients to take with them. Although, we rarely use staples at this time.

bullitnut

bullitnut

thanks janna

there is a drop in centre around 2miles from my home i think i will go there. ;)

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Bullitnut.

I went to my local NHS walk in centre.When i went to the front desk they asked what i was in for,i said to have some sutures removed from my head.

They give you a form to fill in and then you wait your turn.I waited about 15 mins .

The nurse asked me what the sutures were for and i told them it was a HT,they were intrigued and complimented what a neat job my sutures were.

Took them about 5 minutes to remove them after a few others came in to have a look.

All in all it was easy,painless and free.:)

bullitnut

bullitnut

cheers bm thats where i will go then mate ;)

Spencer Kobren

Spencer Kobren

bullitnut wrote:
cheers bm thats where i will go then mate ;)

Hey Bullitnut.

I spoke with Dr. Feriduni about providing you with any "local" aftercare you might need in the unlikely event that you have any issues post surgery while you are back in Europe. Dr. Feriduni will be glad to see you as part of the IAHRS pro bono program. Belgium might be a bit of a hike just to have your sutures or staples removed, but he is there for you if you need him for any of your post-op needs.

Here's his contact info:

Dr. Feriduni, IAHRS
Prins Bisschopssingel 34/2
Hasselt 3500
Belgium
Ph. +32 (0)11 299 790
Fax +32 (0)11 299 799

He also suggested that he and Dr. Shapiro speak about your case if you decide to see him for a follow up.

Best Wishes and Happy New Year,
Spencer

bullitnut

bullitnut

thanks spenser for that its very heartwarming to know people like you are looking out for my best interest at all times. It was a wonderful thing to do and im extremely greatful cheers mate your a true gentleman and i hope you have a smashing new year thanks regards bullit;)

M

mountinvan

Valued member
I love the british lingo--smashing---what an awesome word.:q

bullitnut==you are one lucky dude to have so many well wishers and supporters. It makes me optimistic for 2009 to have so much good will being spread around. Hope your HT repair keeps you smiling in 2009 and beyond!

timuk

timuk

My member is cooler than NN's
Janna...

Just a quick question about staples etc... I thought that staples were the "new best thing"... is this not the case ?

Cheers my dears

Tim

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Tim,

I think it really depends on the skill of the physician with either sutures or staples to get the best result. Our doctors have experience with both and the key maybe in knowing when one or the other is best depending on each patient. I'm very impressed at the moment with the two layer closure using sutures.

bullitnut

bullitnut

I realise that comforts got no bearing on the end result of the scar and shouldnt be a contributary factor but as a general rule bearing in mind everyone is different i was wondering which do people find most painful as speaking from personal experience sutures aren't that uncomfortable