• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

2870 FUT Hair Transplant with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Shapiro Medical Group

S

storytime

2870 FUT with Dr. Ron Shapiro (SMG)

I finally pulled the trigger and got my FUT with Dr. Ron Shapiro yesterday.

My experience with him and the staff was beyond incredible. Matt Zupan was a great resource and always available to answer my questions leading up to the transplant.

On the day of the transplant, I met Dr. Ron Shapiro who briefed me on the procedure and we agreed on a hairline design. He commented that my donor hair was thick and the skin loose and that he expected to see a good number of quality grafts.

The procedure itself was smooth. I dozed off a couple of times and that made time go by fast. Dr. Shapiro did the incisions himself and then the helpful staff took over and diligently placed the grafts all over the recipient area. I was surprised by how pain-free the procedure itself was.

Dr. Ron Shapiro Hair Transplant1.jpeg

Dr. Ron Shapiro Hair Transplant2.jpeg

Dr. Ron Shapiro Hair Transplant3.jpeg

Dr. Ron Shapiro Hair Transplant4.jpeg

Dr. Ron Shapiro Hair Transplant5.jpeg

Dr. Ron Shapiro Hair Transplant6.jpeg

Dr. Ron Shapiro Hair Transplant7.jpeg

Day 4 update.

I feel like my recipient area has healed quickly. No swelling, no redness and no numbness so far. Only bit of difficulty is sleeping on my FUT staples. Other than that, I have resumed light walking and chores around the house.

My transplanted hair also seems to be growing well already since the transplant. Is this normal? What do you guys think about the density and hairline?

Dr. Ron Shapiro Hair Transplant8.jpeg

Dr. Ron Shapiro Hair Transplant9.jpeg

Dr. Ron Shapiro Hair Transplant10.jpeg

Day 14 update

Got my staples taken out at Day 10 and it’s helped a lot with comfort during sleeping. I might have underestimated the issues staples cause with general cleaning and sleeping. A word of caution to all of you considering FUT - be patient with having steel staples at the back of your head for 10-14 days. It’s not painful but no walk in the park either.

On the recipient area, I am finally seeing most of the scabs coming off although I still have some way to go to get a 100% clean scalp. I also see some shedding when I’m in the shower all over my head but especially in the recipient area.

I like my new hairline and will continue to enjoy it till I enter the ugly duckling phase.

Dr. Ron Shapiro Hair Transplant11.jpeg

Dr. Ron Shapiro Hair Transplant12.jpeg

Dr. Ron Shapiro Hair Transplant13.jpeg

Dr. Ron Shapiro Hair Transplant14.jpeg

Let me know your thoughts on my hair transplant and the progress.

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
It looks very clean and detailed work, the graft placement looks perfect. Your appearance has changed already with the face framing the new hairline has created. Are you on finasteride?
I will be following your progress for sure.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum Storytime and thanks for sharing your journey.
I like the hairline design with the irregularities that help create the natural appearance of a hairline. Those 2870 grafts look to have been placed well. Dr Shapiro pulls off amazing results with fewer grafts. Your post op timeline looks fine. At day 14 most if not all the scabs are usually gone. Getting the staples removed at day 10 will have felt good. My own staples did not bother me much, just the odd isolated pain shoot when laying down.
You’re over the worst now, although the shedding stages can be somewhat tricky.
I’m looking forward to following your progress.
All the best.
Bm.

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Hi Storytime!

You are healing up so well. Thanks for posting your about your surgery, looking forward to following your progress. You look like a fast healer and hope that you’ll be a faster than average grower too. The short hair cut suits you.

S

storytime

Thank you all! And thank you Janna for encouraging me to get on this website.
I’m looking forward to sharing my journey with you all.

Clarkyboy1971

Clarkyboy1971

Pleased to be following your journey. Dr. Shapiro is a elite surgeon.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Storytime. Are you on any hair loss prevention regimen?
It is good to hear Matt is still doing an incredible job with his informative consultations. He sure is thorough covering everything.

S

storytime

Hi
Hi Storytime. Are you on any hair loss prevention regimen?
It is good to hear Matt is still doing an incredible job with his informative consultations. He sure is thorough covering everything.
I am using Minoxidil 2.5mg daily but not on Fin since it gave me side effects.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I’m hearing very good vibes from people using the oral minoxidil. No sides I take it? there are quite a few topical Finasteride options available now. I’m thinking the spray option could be a game changer, similar to oral minoxidil.
How’s the scalp and the scabs?

S

storytime

Month 1 update:

The ugly duckling phase is upon me. I have seen most of my recipient hair shed at this point. I’m not a fan of how I look now and making full use of my hat when I step outside the house

The donor area is fully healed and I do not feel any pain or stretching any longer in that area.

Nothing else much to talk about. I’m just going through life right now and don’t expect any change to happen in my appearance for the next few months.

D3AEFEB3-A7CF-4196-9E91-24F4B7E6E3F6.jpeg
55969A17-203D-433F-86AF-3BDADECC993A.jpeg
C3537C7B-AF5B-45B8-B9C0-BCF9DFE8077E.jpeg
58D617EF-84DD-41BB-A62C-BC330FFBEC07.jpeg

Clarkyboy1971

Clarkyboy1971

Your looking right on track for this early point in your journey ! Toppik is an option if you have a special occasion, but hat will do generally.

janna

janna

Valuable Member
This period waiting for new growth tends to be very difficult for a lot of patients. Anxiety and worry set in if you're not a fast grower - hope you're able to keep busy with a hobby or something else to think about for few months.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
This is a tough stage seeing all those transplanted hairs shed. The time does go by quickly. Before you know it you’ll be feeling and seeing the new hairs. It’s good to hear the donor is fully healed. Not having to worry about it and doing your everyday tasks makes like easier.
On your pre-op it looks as though the entire hairline was bare. With you still having some of the transplanted grafts, they may continue to grow. Hopefully, they do.
Have you had any itching in the donor or recipient areas?

S

storytime

Thanks, everyone for the comments. Here is my month 3 update here. I’m trying to be patient and keep myself distracted with life and work. Overall I do see miniature hair popping up all over. I’m on oral minoxidil and plan to continue it along with multivitamins and omega-3 supplements.

Dr. Ron Shapiro hair transplant1.jpeg

Dr. Ron Shapiro hair transplant2.jpeg

Dr. Ron Shapiro hair transplant3.jpeg

Dr. Ron Shapiro hair transplant4.jpeg

Dr. Ron Shapiro hair transplant5.jpeg

My month 4.

Compared to my last month’s update, I’ve witnessed good hair growth. I see a hairline starting to develop and my frontal third filling along nicely. It’s obviously not the final result but it’s nice to finally see some hair cover over my bald head.

One thing I am watching out for is my scar. It’s been 3 weeks since my last hair cut so you may not be able to see the scar but it does show when I buzz my hair at the 3 guard.

Otherwise, I plan on continuing oral minoxidil and other general health supplements and am excited to see what month 5 brings.

Dr. Ron Shapiro hair transplant9.jpeg

Dr. Ron Shapiro hair transplant10.jpeg

Dr. Ron Shapiro hair transplant11.jpeg

Dr. Ron Shapiro hair transplant7.jpeg

Dr. Ron Shapiro hair transplant8.jpeg

Attachments

• Dr. Ron Shapiro hair transplant6.jpeg
    Dr. Ron Shapiro hair transplant6.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
S

storytime

6 month update here. Overall I saw the most amount of growth happen over the last month. I like my new hairline which looks age appropriate and feel no need to bring it down anymore in the future. The FUT scar has healed well and I expect it to get smaller and lighter over the next 6 months.

I don’t know how I feel about the density on my mid-scalp. It looks good when I’m not under a direct source of light but out in the light, my scalp looks exposed. I think I was hoping for a little more density than this at this point. I’ve posted pictures in harsh light and away from the light to show you guys the reference.

What do you guys think?

Dr. Ron Shapiro hair transplant 6 months1.jpeg
Dr. Ron Shapiro hair transplant 6 months2.jpeg
Dr. Ron Shapiro hair transplant 6 months3.jpeg
Dr. Ron Shapiro hair transplant 6 months4.jpeg
Dr. Ron Shapiro hair transplant 6 months5.jpeg
Dr. Ron Shapiro hair transplant 6 months6.jpeg
Dr. Ron Shapiro hair transplant 6 months7.jpeg
Dr. Ron Shapiro hair transplant 6 months8.jpeg
Dr. Ron Shapiro hair transplant 6 months9.jpeg