• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Advice on finding transplant surgeons

L

Loubel

I’m 9 years post cancer diagnosis and chemotherapy treatment. One of the chemotherapy drugs has affected my hair growth and I am now very thin at the front and the crown of my head.
I have finally plucked up the courage to seriously consider a transplant. I have an appointment with Dr Krishnan at Zierling medical tomorrow and I hope to arrange a consultation with Farjo. I’m in Manchester, but happy to travel in the UK. I’ve just found this forum which is great!! I notice lots of positive experiences with the hair Dr in Leeds.
Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. The loss of my hair has really affected my confidence and I’m really excited at the prospect of having a transplant.
Many thanks

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Loubel.
I`m pleased to hear you are 9 years post cancer.
As for hair loss, it`s very common for hair to grow back thinner and sometimes not at all after chemotherapy. Did your doctor try corticosteroids to stimulate the scalp? PRP may be an option too.
A hair transplant will depend on how strong your donor region's hair is. The hair transplant doctors will advise you on this.
This patient had a successful transplant for a patch of scar tissue from skin cancer. Hair transplant after cancer
If you are deemed suitable for a hair transplant it would be great to follow your journey.
Wishing you all the best.
Bm.

L

Loubel

Hi BM, thank you and thanks for your reply.
The chemotherapy drug Taxotere is now known to cause permanent hair loss and the chemotherapy also put me into a medically induced early menopause which can also be associated with hair loss. Unfortunately I didn’t really receive any support from my oncologist, possibly due to being limited to what he could offer on the NHS.
My meeting with Dr Krishnan went really well today. Unfortunately I’m not suitable for strip,
but I am suitable for Fue. The clinic also offers the PRP.
I’m currently researching the Crown Clinic in Manchester, Farjo and the Hair Dr. It would be great to hear about any experiences of these clinics.
My first impressions of Dr Krishnan were very professional, knowledgeable, and understanding of my situation. I have waited so long to make the decision to go for a ht I just feel that I need to take my time and make the right choice for me.
Thanks again.

B

Baldingman23

Valued member
There are plenty of reviews regarding The Hair Dr here. I had my HT with him 10 weeks ago and so far I’m very pleased with how my progress is coming on. My journey is documented on this forum along with others. I’ve heard good things about Farjo but can’t say I’ve heard much about the crown clinic

L

Loubel

Thank you, great to hear that your progress is going well. Why did you choose the Hair Dr?

B

Baldingman23

Valued member
Thank you, great to hear that your progress is going well. Why did you choose the Hair Dr?

My main reasons were.
1 In the UK so if there were any issues it would be easier to sort.

2 Peoples positive experiences here

3 Previous results

T

Todd

How many grafts did Ziering medical say you would need and how many are available? You don't really see any of their uk patients these days, I knew they had closed the London clinic last year. There's plenty of clinics to consider to go with the ones you've mentioned. Dr ball, Dr Tam, Dr mcluskey, Dr Rogers, Dr Reddy to name a few. I would not bother with any cheap price clinics in the UK offering surgery for 1000s of grafts for 2 grand or less. Do you have a picture showing the extent of your loss?

L

Loubel

Hi Todd
They are aiming for 2000, but may achieve more on the day Zierling medical discussed their London clinic as an option. Thanks for your recommendations.
Loubel
Hopefully I’ve managed to attached pictures!!

Attachments

• A2194232-6348-41E6-A089-D3C185BB0C9B.jpeg
    A2194232-6348-41E6-A089-D3C185BB0C9B.jpeg
    440.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 1F014B15-F4E9-4C29-84FD-F23C981E70BA.jpeg
    1F014B15-F4E9-4C29-84FD-F23C981E70BA.jpeg
    426.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 4D36FDA9-3EA1-4AD5-9A0B-4DDE60432F0D.jpeg
    4D36FDA9-3EA1-4AD5-9A0B-4DDE60432F0D.jpeg
    430 KB · Views: 129
  • B4369151-DD46-4A1B-9625-F65C0BE46E62.jpeg
    B4369151-DD46-4A1B-9625-F65C0BE46E62.jpeg
    393.9 KB · Views: 132
T

Todd

I thought they were closed in London and only doing consultations there but maybe I was wrong. 2000 grafts look about right. Why were you not suitable for strip surgery?
Do you use hair concealers at present? There are loads available like DermMatch that cover up the thin area.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Loubel.
It`s unfortunate there is no support from the NHS for hair loss but you will find it here.
It`s good to hear Dr Krishnan was positive in his assessment for you. It would be interesting to know why you aren`t suitable for a FUT procedure.
However, it`s about getting a good result for you which is a priority and I`m sure you can achieve this with FUE if that`s the only option.
Let us know how your other consults go.
All the best.
Bm.

U

uropa79

How many grafts did Ziering medical say you would need and how many are available? You don't really see any of their uk patients these days, I knew they had closed the London clinic last year. There's plenty of clinics to consider to go with the ones you've mentioned. Dr ball, Dr Tam, Dr mcluskey, Dr Rogers, Dr Reddy to name a few. I would not bother with any cheap price clinics in the UK offering surgery for 1000s of grafts for 2 grand or less. Do you have a picture showing the extent of your loss?

Hi Todd,

I literally joined this forum today and seriously considering a HT. Can you pls pass on the name of the clinics of the doctors you mentioned above so I can approach them for a consultation? Preferably the London based clinics.

Am still doing my research.

Thanks,

Phil

G

GarethP

My main reasons were.
1 In the UK so if there were any issues it would be easier to sort.

2 Peoples positive experiences here

3 Previous results
Did you get your HT sorted?

I went with Farjo for exactly the reasons you mention - near home, easier to address potential issues, track record. Am still at an early stage so haven't got any results to show, but after-care has been ok.

Crown Clinic is very expensive as I recall, although it looked like a good place. Not sure I'd go with any of the others in Manchester tbh, seems like a lot of them are only just getting going.

Heard good things about Dr Arshad and Dr Ball though...