• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

anyone else

• Thread starter hairtodaygonetomorrow
  • Start date
H

hairtodaygonetomorrow

Valued member
Do this..

recently i shaved my hair down to a grade 2...ofcourse our lass says it looks fine but now i find myself looking at (was gonna say other men there))N_):)) the heads of other men and seeing whos hair is doing what.

And despite there probably in all honesty being more balding/thinning men than actual full head of haired men i still have an issue, is it just me but does every one else suit a baldy/short hair style but me???:'#G::

do you think its like a spot that to you looks massive but inactual fact not that noticable..

How long does it take untill you (for want of a better word) reconise yourself in the mirror.

timuk

timuk

My member is cooler than NN's
Any drastic change will take awhile to get used to...

I once had a beard.... an ex insisted that it looked good... I lasted about 6 months before I shaved it off... wow... instant 5 years younger...

Anything that effects you personally will be like the "spot" you mentioned....

When I first started to go thin on top I used to look around and noticed that there where loads more guys going bald than with full heads of hair.... but it did not make me feel any better...

Again... its how you feel that effects so many things in life... if you feel down about it then your self confidence tends to take a dive.... and this can effect all aspects...

When you think that MPB cant kill you but there are 1000 and 1 terrible illnesses that can ... it makes MPB seem trivial... but it is not... as we all know...

Read Vin Petrols thread.... met a nice girl and now he changed his mind... again its all about how we feel... maybe if there are enough positive things in life at the time then MPB does not effect our state of mind... I know that my first HT was done when I was pissed off with more than my hair... work, my ex etc all played a part at the time...

I do envy guys that go bald and do not seem to care, I have friends that are at different stages of MPB and they seem happy, have good lives etc...

The one thing I would say (and thats through experience) is that natural MPB is 1000000% better than the "butchered freak" look of a crap HT....

As for recognising yourself in the mirror.... the initial shock tends to ware off and after awhile it becomes normal....

Thats enough of that.....

Tim

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Good reply Tim

I will be getting my hair buzzed to a no 1 on the back and sides at the end of April to see what condition my scalp is in.

timuk

timuk

BigM...

Sounds a bit extreme to me *nl

Before my first HT I always had very short hair..
The clinic in London that did the HT told me that I could have my hair as short as I wanted as long as I did not shave my head no-one would ever know I had had an HT.... ha ha... ;ss;

Anyway... good luck with the skin-head hair cut... will keep an eye out on ebay for a Fred Perry T-shirt, braces and Doctor Martins... :T:

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
I guess we all have slightly different experiences as I always looked around and thought that I was the only guy my age thinning. Ofcourse this wasn't at all accurate but the way I felt.

I remember thinking that I could literally feel my hair falling out. Maybe I did, who knows.

Ya I do think that we exagerate things. Odds are things are not as bad as we perceive. We are our own worst enemy. The thing is that as we age the less we are concerned with how things look. I believe this to be true for the majority of us. I have heard many many guys say that their hair becomes less of a concern as they get older. Many say if they could get thru their 20's and 30's they likely wouldn't worry about getting a HT. We are all different though.

Hope this all helps.

NN

timuk

timuk

NN...

The age factor was a big thing for me... as I started going thin in my early 20's... I remember thinking that if I could somehow keep my hair until I was older I would not care.....that if I still had hair by the time I was 45 then being bald would be ok after that.... quite a worry really as I am now 42... it now makes me realise how many years MPB has been a curse to me and how much of that time I wasted feeling paranoid, avoiding situations and lack of self confidence / self image etc etc

Maybe I make it sound worse than it was... but its just hit my how quick that time has gone and wonder how different it would have been if I had just accepted I was going "thin on top" as mother nature intended... hmmmmm..

Timbo

Last edited:
Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
I think too that bald guys have it a little easier now than years prior since the shaved or super short look is in style. I would have to guess that I would have chosen that option years ago. I remember considering it and talking to my mother about it but chose not to do it as I thought that I would get irritated with the nickname "Kojak" or "Mr. Clean". Now it is the norm and even amongst guys with full heads of hair.

Do you think that guys like Bruce Willis or Vin Diesel would have the successes they do with a horseshoe or Bozo look? No way.

The other day we golfed with a guy in his mid 20's that was a NW6 but had his head shaved. He was a stalky, decent looking guy, but had a cool look with the shaved head, eyebrow piercing and tattoo. No way he would have had the same confidence and "appeal" (don't read that wrong Timbo) with the Bozo look. Just my opinion.

NN

timuk

timuk

NN... what would ever make you think I would read that wrong... If that guys look appealed to you then say it , its the 21st century and along with the head shaved look being acceptable now I also hear that one man finding another attractive is acceptable (of course its not my thing , but live and let live)

Sorry , but how the hell was I supposed to not respond to that golden opportunity !

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Nervousnelly wrote:
The thing is that as we age the less we are concerned with how things look. I believe this to be true for the majority of us. I have heard many many guys say that their hair becomes less of a concern as they get older. Many say if they could get thru their 20's and 30's they likely wouldn't worry about getting a HT. We are all different though.

Hope this all helps.

NN

I would say the median age of our men patients are 40-45..... :T:

As for being less concerned about how we look as we age, I can't agree with you "NN the babe". It's more like there are so many more concerns popping up that you can't concentrate on just the one, two or three things that bothered you before. Now it's more like 20-30 things - you just get overwhelmed feeling tired that you have to say, "the hell with it all"........lol.

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
I wonder if the median age of your patients has to do with the monetary aspect? Just wondering as I would have guessed much younger.

NN

timuk

timuk

I think NN has a point....

Most of the people I know who have spare money are those in their 40's to 50's.... before this age people tend to have other issues that drain their resouces.......

Tim

blueangel

blueangel

Well My husband started loosing his hair when he was in his late 30s he put it down to the fact that he had to wear a beret ( he was in the forces) do you think that is the cause, his Dad and his elder brother have a good head of hair.

He will insist of combing his hair over his Bald spot ( at back of his head and also receding forehead) i just wish he would shave off what little he has to be honest. And to answer the question above about money we are in or 50s and still do not have money to fork out on hair treatment, but in this day and age should we really worry about what we look health is far better than hair..

sheila

Peachy

Peachy

Hi Sheila, welcome to the forum.

Traction (Friction) Alopecia can indeed be caused by regular wearing of a hat, although the hair loss is normally local to contact point. In other words the rim of the beret rubbing against the head. I understand that Friction Alopecia is not permanent but perhaps someone else could comment on this. Check this link for a little bit more detail.
http://www.hairgrowthsos.com/traction-alopecia.html

Sounds to me that your husband is going through MPB, but if you post some pictures I'm sure the guys on this forum would be happy to comment. MPB can skip generations or siblings, hence his father or brother being unaffected.

Agree cost can be a killer but is dependant how far you want to take things. Cheapest option is to shave down and live with it. However, for some MPB can lead to severe anxiety and depression so health issues shouldn't be ignored. Personally I look like a baked bean ;ss; with a shaved head...lol.

Peachy

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
blueangel wrote:
Well My husband started loosing his hair when he was in his late 30s he put it down to the fact that he had to wear a beret ( he was in the forces) do you think that is the cause, his Dad and his elder brother have a good head of hair.

He will insist of combing his hair over his Bald spot ( at back of his head and also receding forehead) i just wish he would shave off what little he has to be honest. And to answer the question above about money we are in or 50s and still do not have money to fork out on hair treatment, but in this day and age should we really worry about what we look health is far better than hair..

sheila

Hi Blueangel

Welcome to the forum.

If your husband can get away with the shaved look its the way to go imo.

Unfortunately lots of us dont suit this look and feel uncomfortable losing our precious hair,therefor we spend thousands to have our hair back.

I agree that health is far more important than looks but losing your hair can effect your health in more ways than one.

As for the beret wearing,Peachy has explained it well so i wont add to it

Thanks bm.

blueangel

blueangel

Thanks for the replies..

Unless we win the lottery the only transplant Bry ( Hubby) will get is if i knit the Cat hairs together and place them on his head...)(_::.. So looks like he is going to stay the way he is.}:BY:>?

sheila x

the B spot

the B spot

Pick your Poison!
I think money has something to do with it NN---however, we do not aggressively market ourselves to the 20-25 year old crowd.

Many times a 25-26 year old will speak to me about how to approach their hairloss, then they go to 4-5 other clinics until they find someone who tells them exactly what they want to hear.

Given the advent of our offering FUE, I expect us to have more 25-35 year old patients, who understand the limitations the procedure itself and who want to approach their hairloss with their future in mind.

We want our younger patients for life (if/when they need us) and not just for a instant gratification session.

Jason