• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Dr. Bisanga - FUE Donor Farming/Restocking

Raphael84

Raphael84

Valued member
With the ever increasing demand in FUE surgery, we are fortunate to be able to see some of the most impressive and refined hair restoration results. Unfortunately, we also see more and more poor quality surgery that presents no end of issues for patients. One such issue is the lack of understanding and respect for donor management protocols leaving the patient with an overharvested and depleted donor area.

In the following video, Dr. Bisanga breaks down some of the important elements of understanding the donor area and emphasises the need for an in-depth evaluation and an appropriately tailored approach for each patient based on empirical date.

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
Real cutting edge stuff, hopefully the days of the doctor saying simply "you have a good donor" are gone, as it is far too subjective and not science based. This is really where the industry needs to be heading with accurate, solid assessments that really give the patient the full picture to then make decisions.

In 11 years I have met countless patients who have had "consultations" and even recently also, and I always ask them what were the results from it in terms of any actual readings, and nearly all will say no data was given, and a few will give figures that show the doc or rep were clueless like you have 40,000 grafts in your donor.

There is tons of information out there on what surgery should look like but by and large not a lot on what a consultation should consist of, so it is good to see this standard set and hopefully this industry will become more science based with regards to this.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
A very good explanation by Dr Bisanga on how a patient should be evaluated. Carefully working out the numbers available from the donor zone and how best to utilise them.
Too many potential patients have no idea about what a successful hair restoration procedure entails.
Thanks for sharing the video, it will help the people who are willing to do their research and not rely on wannabee`s advising them.
I`d like to see a video by Dr Bisanga on the challenges of having a hair transplant with fine hair.

S

Saint4805

I`d like to see a video by Dr Bisanga on the challenges of having a hair transplant with fine hair.

Me too. I have fine hair but most of the before and after photos shared by clinics are of people with thicker hair which obviously yield better looking results. I understand that these photos are critical for bringing in business but it would be good if they covered a wide spectrum of patients.

I am concerned that I may not get the desired density (obviously more grafts would be required per cm2 or at least more strategic use of multi hair grafts). I'd also be interested to know if people with fine hair are more likely to need further surgeries in order to achieve the desired density.

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
Does Dr Bisanga turn people away on the day of surgery who've booked up after emailing pictures? Let's say they live in in another country and weren't able to have a face to face appointment before surgery and turn up with bad donor hair.

Raphael84

Raphael84

Valued member
Kevboy - Thanks for your question.

When we receive online enquiries, Dr. Bisanga will closely evaluate the photographs that have been provided. If the photographs are not of a sufficient quality, we would request better quality images, and often a video with a comb moving through the donor area, photos with wet hair etc. We will take every measure to be able to evaluate photos as accurately as possible.
Having said that, it is absolutely true that any photographic assessment can not match the opportunity than an in-person consultation represents. where donor density, hair groupings, levels of miniaturisation etc. can be calculated and accurately understood.

If there is any cause for concern or doubt based on the donor area from any individual during a photo assessment, then we would explain that due to such concerns, an in-person consultation would be necessary and we do as standard encourage all enquiries to consider consultation.

Dr. Bisanga makes every effort to make himself available for consultation, whether that be at one of our BHR Clinics or BHR consultation events. Dr. Bisanga generally travels to a different destination each month to offer consultation. BHR do our utmost to present opportunities for every individual to attend a consultation with Dr. Bisanga or one of his associated BHR doctors.

Dr. Bisanga is currently pro-actively in contact with various trichologists in different countries to be able to offer a more convenient service to international patients. This would mean that an in depth evaluation would be more accessible without the need for overseas travel. Each trichologist will then perform all necessary evaluations and provide their report to Dr. Bisanga. Such a report would provide all necessary empirical data, allowing Dr. Bisanga to make his recommendations and to be able to understand the candidacy of each individual.

Last edited:
Reactions: sl
Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
Ian, many thanks for explaining in detail. I was contemplating Fue 12 months ago until I gave Finasteride a try with the support I received from this site. I`m over the moon with the results, it`s put my hair transplant on hold for now. I had BHR on my shortlist, You`re still on it in case I need one at some point which is why I wanted to know about the chance of a refusal because of a weak donor.
At some point, I`ll more than likely schedule a consult with the doctor. Until that day, I`ll hang out here.

Raphael84

Raphael84

Valued member
Kevboy
Great to hear that you have responded to finasteride so well and a real important and valuable insight that it was the support of this community that influenced your decision to begin medication.
Hopefully you will continue to respond favourably and you will not feel the need to consider surgery at all.
Without knowing any specifics about yourself and your case, it is a great example of what hair loss preventative medication can achieve in terms of stabilisation and in some cases strengthening and some regrowth.
Thrilled for you and long may it continue.

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
Thank you Raphael84. If not for what I've learned here and the support I'd probably had a transplant by now. I've learnt so much and appreciate everything people post that helps us understand about hair loss.