• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Drugs that cause hairloss

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Hey guys i suffer from heartburn badly due to a hiatus hernia and have been told i have laryngopharyngeal reflux, my doc prescribed me a proton pump inhibiter called amoprazole. Upon reading the instructions i noticed that one of the side effects listed was hairloss, so im waiting to see my gp to get an alternative. This got me thinking that it might be a good topic for people to list their experiences with different drugs that have caused hairloss, we could make a list of all known drugs with this as a side effect. Please dont take this out of context as medication for certain conditions that are far worse than hairloss should be used but if we know which drugs can cause it we can then see if there are alternatives

bullitnut

bullitnut

Found this info while researching drugs.

The following is a list of ingredients, medications, drugs, and compounds that have a high reputation for causing hair loss when taken in excess, and sometimes when taken (or experienced) in moderation. This list is by no means all-inclusive, but its a helpful start. If you feel you are experiencing hair loss due to any external factors, discuss it with your physician.

allopurinol, arsenic, apirin, l-asparaginase, bismuth, bleomycin, boric acid, bromocriptine, carbamazepine, carbon monoxide, chlorambucil, chloramphenicol, cimetidine, colchicine, clofibrate, clomiphene citrate, coumarin anticoagulant, cyclophosphamide, cyproterone acetate, dactinomycin, danazol, diethyl carbamazepine, dipyridamole, doxorubicin, ethionamide, etoposide, etretinate, fenifibrate, gentamycin sulphate, guanethidine, heparin (telogen effluvium after 6-16 weeks ), hydroxychloroquine, ibuprofen, idoxuridine, indandione, indomethacin, interferon, iodine, isophosphamide, levamisole, levodopa, lithium, mepacrine, mercury, mesalazine, methisazone, methotrexate, methyl CCNU, methysurgide, metoprolol, mitomycin, mitrexantrone, morphine, nadolol, nafoxidine, nicotinic acid, nicotinyl alcohol, nitrofurantoin sodium, norethisterone, estrogens, oral contraceptives, para aminosalicylate, phenindione, phenprocoumon, potassium thiocyanate, procainamide, propanolol, selenium sulphide, sodium aurothiomalate, sodium valproate, spironolactone, sulphasalazine, tamoxifen, thalium acetate, thiamphenicol, terfenadine, trimethadione, troxidone, vasopressin, vincristine, vindesine, vitamin A, warfarin

If you are able to determine that your medications / drugs are the cause, its important that you do not just immediately stop taking the them. Several medications can be substituted with others that may not have hair loss as a side effect, so one should always consult their physician before making any changes to their medications.

bullitnut

bullitnut

Must admit the spiro one shocked me as i thought it block dht

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
People are all different and respond differently to drugs.

Thus some can lose hair while others can grow hair using Proscar etc.

Good list that is,i know lots of womens treatments have the potential to cause hairloss.

bm.

bullitnut

bullitnut

Good point bm never thought of it like that

timuk

timuk

My member is cooler than NN's
BN..

I suffer from the old acid / heartburn now and again... usually after rich food and maybe a little too much vodka... keeps me awake and feels terrible...

I take Zantac... one of the side effects mentioned on the packet is hairloss... but it works so well that I take the risk... as I like my sleep and hate being in pain...

I think its like most medications.. the side effects effect very few people... but they have to be listed "just in case"...

Timbot

bullitnut

bullitnut

Thanks tim ive been using gaviscon which is poor i`ll try zantac cheers bud

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
I believe Roacotane can be added the the above list, it is prescribed for Acne, Skin Problems.

timuk

timuk

My member is cooler than NN's
BN...

This may sound weird.... but give arrow root a try. It comes in powder form.... I found it great for any stomache related problems... 100% natural and worked for me.... not sure if I have seen them for awhile... but there is also an arrow root biscuit which used to work on me...

Also, green or mint tea..

Anyway... could be a waste of time.. but worth a go..

Tim

bullitnut

bullitnut

thanks timbo your a star ill give em a go!!! hope everythings ok at your end dude very nice of you to help much appreciated pal;)regards bn

J

jacob

well whatever you have written is out of your experience and this is great....i never knew about this...thanx for telling...

L

lilisa.lopez21

Because of some drugs u face hair loss problem, do one thing consult with your doctor or go to dermatologist.

C

cathyv

Blood thinners (anti-coagulants), such as warfarin and heparin and Seizure medication is also known to cause hair loss

A

Anu Smith

Body condition and immune system of each person is different. So many times it happens that some common drugs also cause so many bad effects in some person's body and hair loss is the most common among them.

TheChap

TheChap

And which drugs are most influential in causing hair loss? I take a lot of ibuprofen, thinking it's inert, so I'd be surprised and alarmed to hear that it has a large effect.

Mr M.

Mr M.

Its not just the drugs we class as medication that cause hairloss, there are so many harmful chemicals in the processed food we eat that have an adverse effect on the human body.