• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

First FUE - 5 days post-op Disappointed

I

ImJustAGuy

I had an FUE done with a surgeon who did a lot of talking I will say, in the New York arena. There is a lot I wish I knew before I jumped in with this guy. I was not put on Fin for stabilizing hair loss, I had been using Minox for the better part of 1.5 years.
A long story short I walked away with a pedestrian 1650-1700 grafts even though he kept saying my donor area is amazing . He kept telling me how good it’s going to look(of course). I think I’m going to look like I clearly had a transplant. And will need another ASAP to fix this and blend.

before hair transplant.jpeg
Bad hair transplant.jpeg

bad hair transplant 1.jpeg
bad hair transplant 2.jpeg

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there.
1700 grafts is still a decent number. If placed correctly, this should give you a hairline that will frame your face and add some density behind. Graft numbers and the plan should have been made clear prior to surgery. As you state, you wish you had done more research and clarified everything prior. With you saying you`re unhappy, I`d hazard a guess your expectations may not be met once fully grown out.
You do have quite a bit of loss, Finasteride could help you and may be worth using providing you`re fully aware of the possible side effects.
Have you raised your concerns with the clinic?

I

ImJustAGuy

Hi there.
1700 grafts is still a decent number. If placed correctly, this should give you a hairline that will frame your face and add some density behind. Graft numbers and the plan should have been made clear prior to surgery. As you state, you wish you had done more research and clarified everything prior. With you saying you`re unhappy, I`d hazard a guess your expectations may not be met once fully grown out.
You do have quite a bit of loss, Finasteride could help you and may be worth using providing you`re fully aware of the possible side effects.
Have you raised your concerns with the clinic?

Thanks for the reply.

My main concern is seeing all of these numbers of other HT patients getting 2500 grafts if not more. And then I see me and I’m seeing 1650. I do have a smaller frame and face.

Fin scares me with all of the horror stories I have read. The surgeon and I talked about it but I’m still hesitant.

My post op contact with the surgeon has been dodgy at best. I have yet to have a follow up with him.

I was supposed to go at 4 days to get a hair wash and he sent me a text that morning saying “just pour tepid water slowly on your head with baby shampoo. “

what me most is during the surgery he left for about 45 to an hour to do a media shoot and just left his tech (who I actually trusted).

It’s like I am on my own. Good thing I have these forums and research to help me through this process.

I’m trying to stay positive here and convince myself this will look good

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
It is a small percentage who are affected by Finasteride. I`ve been ok with it and been using it since 2005, but it is down to each individual to make the decision. Doctors quite often leave experienced technicians working on the patient whilst they do other things. I don`t know what time frames each doctor will do this but in my experience, they come back after a short break to check on the progress and possibly start working on you again. Most clinics will use technicians to place the grafts.

I

ImJustAGuy

My immediate post op results. Multi grafts in the frontal hairline it appears.

80B16913-8F7E-4C9D-B3D2-847B12974A1C.jpeg

797CB632-B594-4B95-9FD1-2B9EB848F98F.jpeg

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Your grafts appear to be spread out quite thinly and there are numerous multi hair grafts in your hairline. If I were in your shoes, I`d be getting these grafts removed now if possible and replanted further behind the hairline. A hairline should consist of single hair grafts only.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Any luck contacting clinics for their opinion on this work?

I

ImJustAGuy

Any luck contacting clinics for their opinion on this work?

I talked to a well recognized clinic and he said wrong size grafts and incorrect spacing were used. I will not achieve any good results with this transplant. Several places have requested pictures which I have sent in. It all seems to be the same thought process though.

I’m going in and having an uncomfortable conversation with the place that did my transplant on Monday

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
If you can, have someone accompany you to this meeting on Monday. Show them the multi graft pictures you have. Take some pictures of natural hairlines which show single hair grafts and finally, make a list of questions that you want to ask. Your emotions will be all over the place, it is easy to forget something, this is why it is a good idea to take someone. You could always ask if it is ok to record the meeting so you can reflect on what is discussed.
I hope you can get this sorted.
All the best.
Bm.

I

ImJustAGuy

How did your meeting go?

He assured me that it was going to look good. He said he only did roughly 1650 grafts due to my bleeding. He also said he “owes me a another 600-800 grafts” which would not cost me, but to be honest I don’t trust him to touch me at all.
As for using multi hair grafts in the hairline he said using twos is not uncommon and I needed them to build the density I wanted.
I did not bring anyone with me and it was just myself. I didn’t get all my questions out as my emotions were sky high and I didn’t want to make a scene.
I have two more consults with clinics in the US to review my photos this week.

I’m already planning on resurgery but unfortunately that is going to have to wait a year + due to personal schedule

TOMMYTWO

TOMMYTWO

Valued member
Hi there, who was the doc that did your surgery.....I only ask purely for transparency?

Regards

Tom

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
He assured me that it was going to look good. He said he only did roughly 1650 grafts due to my bleeding. He also said he “owes me another 600-800 grafts” which would not cost me, but to be honest I don’t trust him to touch me at all.
As for using multi hair grafts in the hairline, he said using twos is not uncommon and I needed them to build the density I wanted.
I did not bring anyone with me and it was just myself. I didn’t get all my questions out as my emotions were sky high and I didn’t want to make a scene.
I have two more consults with clinics in the US to review my photos this week.

I’m already planning on re-surgery but unfortunately, that is going to have to wait a year + due to personal schedule

This is the first time I`ve heard someone saying they place 2 hair grafts in the hairline to create density and it is not uncommon. Maybe ask this clinic if he can point you to others who use this approach. Our natural growing hairlines are single hair grafts, multi grafts do not naturally occur at the front.
Why did they not inform you at the time of surgery that you were to get extra grafts? Surely they could have done this the following day if that was the case. Now you have to wait a year.
I wish you had taken someone with you for moral support.

I

ImJustAGuy

This is the first time I`ve heard someone saying they place 2 hair grafts in the hairline to create density and it is not uncommon. Maybe ask this clinic if he can point you to others who use this approach. Our natural growing hairlines are single hair grafts, multi grafts do not naturally occur at the front.
Why did they not inform you at the time of surgery that you were to get extra grafts? Surely they could have done this the following day if that was the case. Now you have to wait a year.
I wish you had taken someone with you for moral support.
Ive read it all unfortunately. To be honest I’m less concerned about the density portion as i am if he used proper graft angle. If not then I have a hell of a lot more problems than just my next surgery being able to mask multi grafts.
I’ve got a long exhausting road a head of me and one I’ll have to stare at every damn day in the mirror.
Unfortunately from everything I was told there is not a damn thing I can do about it either. Either to the surgeon or to myself.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Masking multi grafts in the hairline will take a lot more grafts that you may not have or they can be better used in other areas. If I were you, I would look to having them removed or at the very least, the most prominent ones. Wrong angle grafts will look unnatural too. It is such a shame you find yourself in this position.
I hope you have checked with your health board that all surgical protocol and the accompanying paperwork was done correctly.
It will be interesting to hear what the other clinics recommend without naming them.

I

ImJustAGuy

Day 12 post op. Scalp feels very dry and looks red. Possibly from me massaging/shampooing to get the remaining scabs off. Most of not all scabs are gone.

does anyone have any recommendations for dry scalp, redness?

I would ask my surgeon but, well, there is a distrust there for some reason. Haha.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
When shampooing leave it on to soak so any remaining scabs come off easy. If they don’t, just be patient and don’t pick at them.

Aloe Vera gel is very good for soothing the scalp and reducing inflammation.