• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

FUE at Hair Dr Clinic, Leeds (Dr Arshad) – 2500 Grafts – 13-Jan-2021

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Your healing looks normal and on track. The redness may linger for some time. Aloe Vera does help soothe and lessen it.
The shedding is a normal part of recovery.
At this stage, your normal daily routine is stress free.

H

HT2021

Just looking for a bit of advice... In the last few days, I've started getting a nasty rash over my body which I'm getting a bit concerned about (I've put a couple of pictures in a spoiler at the end in case anyone is eating their dinner while reading this, though I'm not sure they do justice to how red they are...)

It started off just at my wrists and shoulders, which made me wonder if it was the Sebamed shampoo - but it's since spread all over my chest and back and one foot as well, so I'm starting to wonder if it might be the Finasteride. In the leaflet that comes with it, it does mention that skin rashes are a potential side effect. Just wondering if anyone else has come across this before?

I spoke to the clinic who suggested taking the Finasteride every other day instead of every day, but I'm wondering if I should stop completely, as I've now got thousands of red blotches over my body and they're very itchy... Does anyone have an opinion on whether the shampoo or the Finasteride is the most likely cause? Ideally I'd like to stop one and continue the other so I can figure out the cause!

20210201_204003 2.jpg
20210201_204055 2.jpg
20210201_203812.jpg

20210201_214036~01.jpg

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
It could be Shingles, Hives, Contact Dermatitis or a reaction to meds. Are you in any pain with it or just the itch?
You may need to see your GP.
There were no pictures to view.

L

LondonMayor

Just looking for a bit of advice... In the last few days, I've started getting a nasty rash over my body which I'm getting a bit concerned about (I've put a couple of pictures in a spoiler at the end in case anyone is eating their dinner while reading this, though I'm not sure they do justice to how red they are...)

It started off just at my wrists and shoulders, which made me wonder if it was the Sebamed shampoo - but it's since spread all over my chest and back and one foot as well, so I'm starting to wonder if it might be the Finasteride. In the leaflet that comes with it, it does mention that skin rashes are a potential side effect. Just wondering if anyone else has come across this before?

I spoke to the clinic who suggested taking the Finasteride every other day instead of every day, but I'm wondering if I should stop completely, as I've now got thousands of red blotches over my body and they're very itchy... Does anyone have an opinion on whether the shampoo or the Finasteride is the most likely cause? Ideally I'd like to stop one and continue the other so I can figure out the cause!

I would advice you to speak to a Dr and get a medical opinion. Drs are the only ones who should ever diagnose a medical issue

H

HT2021

Thanks both for the advice - I also spoke to the clinic who advised speaking to a GP, so I've requested an appointment. In the meantime I've suspended using both the Finasteride and the Sebamed, as my best guess is that one of these is responsible

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hope you can find out the cause and it`s nothing to worry about.

H

HT2021

Thanks again for the support - the rash has improved over the week since I stopped taking the Finasteride and Sebamed. I spoke to my GP who prescribed me some antibacterial shower gel and recommended reintroducing the Sebamed for a week or so, and if there were no ill effects to reintroduce the Finasteride, in an attempt to figure out exactly what the cause was. Fingers crossed that's the last of it now!

I'll add my pictures from the last week or so - I found it useful to be able to compare my recovery to other people's at the same stage, so hopefully this is useful for some rather than overkill!

It's fair to say that I'm well into the shedding stage now! There are some areas in the transplanted area that have grown more than others - these are the areas that my native hair was still growing before the transplant. At some point I'll do something to tidy it up, but for now I'm barely going out and wearing a cap when I do, so it's not really bothering me. Roll on April-ish when the new hairs should hopefully start to grow through!

Day 18
Day 18 (1).jpeg
Day 18 (2).jpeg
Day 18 (3).jpeg
Day 18 (4).jpeg
Day 18 (5).jpeg

Day 19
Day 19 (2).jpeg
Day 19 (3).jpeg
Day 19 (1).jpeg
Day 19 (4).jpeg
Day 19 (5).jpeg

Day 20
Day 20 (2).jpeg
Day 20 (3).jpeg
Day 20 (5).jpeg
Day 20 (4).jpeg
Day 20 (1).jpeg

Day 21

Day 21 (1).jpeg
Day 21 (2).jpeg
Day 21 (5).jpeg
Day 21 (4).jpeg
Day 21 (3).jpeg

H

HT2021

Day 22

Day 22 (1).jpeg
Day 22 (2).jpeg
Day 22 (3).jpeg
Day 22 (4).jpeg
Day 22 (5).jpeg

Day 23
Day 23 (1).jpeg
Day 23 (2).jpeg
Day 23 (3).jpeg
Day 23 (4).jpeg
Day 23 (5).jpeg

Day 24
Day 24 (1).jpeg
Day 24 (2).jpeg
Day 24 (3).jpeg
Day 24 (4).jpeg
Day 24 (5).jpeg

Day 25 (hair was wet, which makes the shedding slightly clearer)
Day 25 (1).jpeg
Day 25 (2).jpeg
Day 25 (4).jpeg
Day 25 (3).jpeg
Day 25 (5).jpeg

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear the rash is subsiding. Hopefully, it is not linked to the meds and you can resume with no issues.
Your healing looks to be going very well. You`ll be transitioning into the ugly duckling phase soon with your uneven growth, bits of redness, shedding etc but it is soon forgotten once the new hair begins to grow.
Thanks for the documentation with all the pictures, it will help others who want to know how things progress after their transplants.
All the best.
Bm.

H

HTL33

Great write up and really good to compare to my experience so far! You are exactly two weeks in front of me!

H

HT2021

Just a quick update from the last 10 days or so. Not been a great deal of change really, just gradual shedding across the transplant area, with some native hairs growing back amongst that area.

There seems to be a lot of shedding on the top of my head too, I'm pretty sure I was never that thin there before! Hopefully it's just some native areas next to the transplant site shedding - or maybe I just never noticed how much I was thinning there before when my hair was a little longer...

Day 26

Day 26 (1).jpeg Day 26 (2).jpeg Day 26 (4).jpeg Day 26 (5).jpeg

Day 28

Day 28 (1).jpegDay 28 (2).jpegDay 28 (3).jpegDay 28 (4).jpegDay 28 (5).jpeg

Day 30
Day 30 (1).jpegDay 30 (4).jpegDay 30 (5).jpegDay 30 (7).jpeg

Day 32
Day 32 (1).jpegDay 32 (2).jpegDay 32 (3).jpegDay 32 (4).jpegDay 32 (5).jpeg

Day 34
Day 34 (1).jpegDay 34 (2).jpegDay 34 (4).jpegDay 34 (5).jpeg

T

TopDog23

Just a quick update from the last 10 days or so. Not been a great deal of change really, just gradual shedding across the transplant area, with some native hairs growing back amongst that area.

There seems to be a lot of shedding on the top of my head too, I'm pretty sure I was never that thin there before! Hopefully it's just some native areas next to the transplant site shedding - or maybe I just never noticed how much I was thinning there before when my hair was a little longer...

Day 26

View attachment 19700 View attachment 19701 View attachment 19702 View attachment 19703

Day 28

View attachment 19704View attachment 19705View attachment 19706View attachment 19707View attachment 19708

Day 30
View attachment 19709View attachment 19710View attachment 19711View attachment 19712

Day 32
View attachment 19713View attachment 19714View attachment 19715View attachment 19716View attachment 19717

Day 34
View attachment 19718View attachment 19719View attachment 19720View attachment 19721
I’m exactly the same. I (stupidly) didn’t go for a full shave and the longer native hair (not in the donor or graft site) is shedding a fair bit.hopefully it’s part of the process!

H

HT2021

That's what I'm hoping! I had read that it's normal for areas next to the graft area to shed, so I was prepared for that - I'd just assumed that would only apply to areas right next to the graft area, rather than all the way to the top of my head!

But as you say I'm sure it's all part of the process, and in a few months time hopefully it'll all have grown back again

alex5

alex5

Looking good HT2021, all looking normal and part of the process. The stage we are both in now really sucks and doesn't look great but it will get better after a few months :)

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi HT2021.
Everything looks to have healed ok. The extra shedding you`ve experienced will be shock loss to native hairs. They should grow back over the coming months.
Now it`s just the waiting game.
All the best.
Bm.

H

HT2021

Thanks both - glad to hear that it looks to be progressing normally!

Just a quick update as it's been 8 weeks today. Not a lot has changed, I don't seem to have shed much in the last few weeks, and I have some stubble-length hairs in the transplant area which I guess could be new hairs growing through - but overall not too much to report except for the rest of my hair getting longer!

Day 56 (2).jpeg Day 56 (7).jpeg Day 56 (5).jpegDay 56 (4).jpeg Day 56 (3).jpeg

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
It could be new hair growing in or existing native hair. Everything looks good though. The donor looks to have recovered well.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Great thread and will help others for sure. Did you go back on Finasteride....would be such a shame if you can't tolerate it due to it causing a rash....like the hairline shape too dude.

T

TL345

Great thread and will help others for sure. Did you go back on Finasteride....would be such a shame if you can't tolerate it due to it causing a rash....like the hairline shape too dude.
I had the same problem one month ago when I started finasteride again. I just mix it with minoxidil and apply it as a topical solution. No rash anymore.

H

HT2021

Thanks for the kind words! I stopped taking Finasteride at around the 3-week mark when I first noticed the rash. I stopped for around 3 weeks, and then I've probably been taking it for about 3 weeks again. No sign of any issues this time around, so fingers crossed it'll be fine this time!

I had the same problem one month ago when I started finasteride again. I just mix it with minoxidil and apply it as a topical solution. No rash anymore.

That's interesting - glad to hear it's not an issue for you any more. So you've been using topical finasteride? How have you found that?