• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

FUE & Strip Question

Shang

Shang

Sheepish Member
FUE & Strip Question

I was just wondering if the difference between FUE and Strip procedures is purely how the grafts are extracted. I suppose what I €™m trying to ask is, once the grafts are extracted safely using either technique are there any differences in how the grafts would be planted into the recipient i.e. would grafts obtained via FUE be planted any differently to grafts obtained via Strip.

Hope that makes sense.

Shang

S

solar panel

Valued member
Hi Shang,

I believe most modern clinics use the lateral slit technique Strip and FUE

SP

the B spot

the B spot

Pick your Poison!
Hey guys,

not all clinics use the lateral slit exclusively.

In fact, Dr. Shapiro and Dr. Wong did a hair transplant on the same patient, using saggital and lateral incisions and the result was excellent on both sides of the hairline.

This is indicative of the high level of skill both doctors--- regardless of method used.

The skill of the individual doctor is the most important, not the incision method used.

At Shapiro Medical Dr. Shapiro prefers Saggital incisions, but will use laterals in the crown or even in the temple regions at times.

As far as FUE/Strip grafts, once they are extracted, there is no real difference, except the fue grafts are a little more fragile b/c they do not have much tissue surrounding the grafts.

But, in the most simplistic explanation, the only real difference between a strip/fue graft is the extraction method.

Hope this helps!!
Jason

janna

janna

Valuable Member

It also varies depending on the clinic but some clinics may trim the grafts after extraction and some may not. The fue grafts do seem more volunerable as there isn't much tissue surrounding follicles, and therefore, more susceptible to harm unless planted with extra care....sooner the better, I would think.

the B spot wrote:
At Shapiro Medical Dr. Shapiro prefers Saggital incisions, but will use laterals in the crown or even in the temple regions at times.

I wanted to amend this post just a bit - both our docs perfer sagital incisions in most instances but Dr. Ron uses laterals in the central core - before the crown. Most often he uses sagitals in the crown but he has been known to utilize laterals in the crown on occasion. In the temples - both doctors like to use laterals because the incisions are so acute and paralle to the existing hairs that it makes the transplanted hairs lay down better.

Aside from that - Bspot is right on - imo.

Shang

Shang

Sheepish Member
Thank you very much that answers my question, purly the extraction method. So why is it that i've heard when some Dr's such as Dr Armarni change from the strip method to the FUE method the results being produced are far less impressive. Is it because the grafts are not surviving the extraction like they do via strip. Hope that makes sense.

Shang

Last edited:
P

Philb

Shang wrote:
Thank you very much that answers my question, purly the extraction method. So why is it that i've heard when some Dr's such as Dr Armarni change from the strip method to the FUE method the results being produced are far less impressive. Is it because the grafts are not surviving the extraction like they do via strip. Hope that makes sense.

Shang

I don't wish to sound condescending or holier than thow, FUE has bad press much of the time and in some respects justified but only in respect of those that practise it and not because of the technique per se.

FUE is a great HT option for the right candidate, has many advantages and compliments Strip in the HT world. BUT, it is far less forgiving a technique and unfortunately if not performed to the highest standards with strict protocols will show shortcomings probably more so than a Strip procedure. The advent of FUE must have sounded like manna from heaven for HT patients, the thought of no obvious signs of a surgery, being able to cut your hair as short as you like............. the truth is FUE is not easy and requires many different skills to Strip, not just medical knowledge skills but a much greater understanding of skin behaviour, FU splay, understanding of peripheral damage. We do a great deal of FUE and when I sit and watch the extraction, how many times the doc changes position, how many times the patient moves, how many times the angles alter because of different hair characteristics I am not surprised when I hear stories of poor yield or white dot scarring. FUE is one of those techniques that will not become main stream because it has so many limitations to preforming it well and frankly in my personal opinion there are not that many out there at present who either understand the the technique or respect it to do it to the highest standard. If used as a marketing tool then it will never do justice to a great technique because the standards will be lowered but when performed well it can yield no different to Strip and leave a pristine donor.

Sorry for the rant,

Phil

Last edited:
Shang

Shang

Sheepish Member
cheers for the rant phil, i get it now, some clinics have got all the gear but no idea.

Last edited: