• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Hair transplant without Finasteride - should I proceed?

S

Saint4805

Hi everyone,

Further to my first post a few weeks ago, I have had some dialogue with a couple of clinics in Turkey and both recommend taking Finasteride post surgery which is a bit of a red line for me. I understand the benefits in that it would likely preserve the end result for longer. I'm happy to take minoxidil but would rather avoid Finasteride due to possible side effects (sexual disfunction and watery semen etc. are a no no for me). Is it a bad idea to proceed with surgery with this in mind or could I possibly agree on a more conservative hairline design which takes account of my not taking Finasteride and perhaps not leave me with thinner areas behind the transplanted area? I have noticed some older men who have a bit more density at the front and I think this can be managed with short/buzz hair cuts. Thoughts?

FWIW, I'm 47 years old and believe that my hair loss has stabilised to a large degree (no significant loss in recent years - more gradual). I am not exactly craving a great hairline for the rest of my days. I'd be happy to have a good hairline for the next 5-7 years and would probably be then happy to go for a short/buzz cut thereafter as my hair loss continues. With that in mind, could I consider proceeding with a HT? One clinic I am talking with is Armamed as I am impressed with Dr Demirsoy's results.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• hair.jpg
    hair.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,223
  • hair2.jpg
    hair2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 199
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
As long as a patient knows the risks of possible future loss it's ok to proceed as long as they can agree with the clinic where the grafts will be placed. A skilled doctor will look for miniturisation, try to predict any future loss pattern and plant with this in mind.
If you do lose more hair you want whatever is transplanted to look natural.
Have you considered topical Finasteride? The sides are supposed to be a lower risk.

S

Saint4805

As long as a patient knows the risks of possible future loss it's ok to proceed as long as they can agree with the clinic where the grafts will be placed. A skilled doctor will look for miniturisation, try to predict any future loss pattern and plant with this in mind.
If you do lose more hair you want whatever is transplanted to look natural.
Have you considered topical Finasteride? The sides are supposed to be a lower risk.

Thanks for your response Bigmac. Do you think Doctor Demirsoy would fall into the skilled doctor category who could look for minitiarisation and factor this into the surgery? I have sent a message to his assistant to ask the question. Their assessment is that I could benefit from 3000-3500 grafts.

I hadn't considered topical Finasteride and only became aware of it yesterday after doing more research. I would consider it if the sides were much lower.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I`ve not looked at too many of his results. The ones I`ve seen look decent but you`d have to research him more. There are that many clinics around the globe it`s impossible to know the quality provided.
Topical is a consideration for you.

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
It`s a gamble I`m pleased I never took. I stuck with Finasteride which has paid dividends with my hair growth.

J

John2704

Finasteride side effects are rare and when they do occur often diminish after a short period as the body adjusts. Most of the bad press Finasteride receives are from the loud few that possibly had other contraindications causing sides. You could test it with 0.25mg (quarter of a 1mg pill) every other day and see how you feel. Or mix up a solution using Fin and something like Stemoxidine and apply it every other day or just 3 times per week. Try not to get too paranoid about it otherwise you could give yourself the nocebo effect.

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Saint, how are you getting on with making a decision?

S

Saint4805

Saint, how are you getting on with making a decision?

Hi Bigmac,

Over the past week I have had virtual consultations with two SMP companies in the UK and am waiting to set up one more with a third. One SMP consultant felt, based on my head shape and facial proportions, that I would be an ideal candidate for either full head SMP (shaved to 1mm look) or densification within my existing hairline border which would allow me to keep my hair a bit longer but I wouldn't be able to lower my hairline. Interestingly, the second company said I am suitable either for densification or a hair transplant and not really full head SMP. I am curious to see what the third company says which will allow me to see if we have a majority verdict.

After doing a bit more research into hair transplants and reading Ross' excellent write up, I am also considering contacting Dr Feriduni's clinic. One HT clinic in Turkey told me that NOT taking Finasteride would lead to an unnatural result over time i.e. I would continue to lose hair behind the transplanted hairs at the front of the hairline. While this may be the case several years after the first transplant, I am wondering if the first transplant would give me a good result for say 2-3 years (assuming my hair loss has stabilised to a large extent - I am 47) and then if I do continue to lose hair on my mid-scalp/crown area I could potentially fix this with a second transplant further down the line. I haven't had any hair transplants before and so should hopefully have plenty to harvest from in my donor area. I would consider taking Finasteride in the future (perhaps ahead of a second transplant) but would prefer not to over the next year in case it impacts my ability to have children etc. I mentioned before that I have very fine hair and so I'd be interested to see what Dr Feriduni's view would be on what kind of density I could expect.

Would appreciate hearing your thoughts on where I am at. Thanks in advance!

Last edited: