• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Minoxidil and Blurred Vision

M

Matt88

Hi there, just checking in to say that my vision is broadly okay after two months of regularly using eye drops. I'm quite sure the blurriness had nothing to do with the Minoxidil as I've remained using it once a day. I've just got really dry eyes which need a lot of maintenance and they might be different from one day to the next.

Best wishes,
Matt

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
That’s good to hear it’s not the Minoxidil. It must be a relief for you.
Now you just need the Minoxidil to help your hair grow.

M

Matt88

That’s good to hear it’s not the Minoxidil. It must be a relief for you.
Now you just need the Minoxidil to help your hair grow.
Thank you, Bigmac! Absolutely - I'd have been disappointed if I couldn't use Minoxidil anymore, particularly with my diffuse profile. At least now I have a chance of improving my hair situation.

I'll definitely have my eyes checked out to see if I can make improvements elsewhere. Having the HT seems to have opened my mind to other interventions. Maybe laser eye surgery would be next...

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
If you did go for laser eye surgery I’d be interested to know how it goes. It’s something I’ve thought about but not looked into.

Let’s hope the Minoxidil makes a difference for you.

M

Matt88

If you did go for laser eye surgery I’d be interested to know how it goes. It’s something I’ve thought about but not looked into.

Let’s hope the Minoxidil makes a difference for you.
Sure, happy to let you know how I get on. I'll have to see if my eyes are stable enough for it and I also have astigmatism in one eye. A bit like with a HT, there are criteria that makes someone a better candidate for laser eye surgery than others.

Thanks a lot, Bigmac. It'll be hard to tell if the Finasteride, Minoxidil or HT is making the biggest difference. If something works, then great.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Happy to hear it's not the Minoxidil dude....dry eyes can be an absolute nightmare, I have them too.....my optician prescribes drops on prescription and it helps but mine soon dry and get irritated between drops.

M

Matt88

Happy to hear it's not the Minoxidil dude....dry eyes can be an absolute nightmare, I have them too.....my optician prescribes drops on prescription and it helps but mine soon dry and get irritated between drops.
Hi bullitnut, really sorry for the late reply to your post and thanks very much for this - I'm glad I can at least keep using Minoxidil. But I know exactly what you mean about dry eyes being a nightmare. I'm using Hylo Forte which is quite heavy duty and even then one of my eyes still loses focus during the day. But it's still an improvement over not treating it at all...

All the best,
Matt

P

Professor

Valued member
Hi Matt, it is good to know you have seen some improvement in your vision. I suggest you read this recent medical study (article link) which indicates that the minoxidil in the solution or foam used for hair treatment can induce blurred vision in some people. The finding in this study suggests that different people may have different tolerance to minoxidil at different concentrations. Your tolerable concentration may be less than 5%, while other people may tolerate up to 10% without any problem. I suggest you follow the process described in this study to see if you can achieve more improvement in your sight without resorting to unnecessary and costly laser treatment. In my view, the fact that you start experiencing this effect after using minoxidil suggests there is a connection. It is definitely worth looking into further to get your clear vision back.

P

Professor

Valued member
The article is in Venkatesh et al. BMC Ophthalmology (2020) 20:219. Unfortunately, it is too large to attach and I am not allowed to include the link. If you google the details, you will get access to the paper.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
The article is in Venkatesh et al. BMC Ophthalmology (2020) 20:219. Unfortunately, it is too large to attach and I am not allowed to include the link. If you google the details, you will get access to the paper.

Links are available on your account now. It’s an anti spam thing on new accounts. I’ve added the link to your post.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, it’s an interesting article. Have you been involved with any of this research?