• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Minoxidil stop working

T

Toms

Hello, anyone noticed overtime minoxidil stop working for them. I am 38 and used it for about 5 years now, it was ok for a long time but not sure if it is starting to stop working for me. I use the lotion and now the 5% foam. Thanks, G

H

hairlosssecrets

Yes, I used Minoxidil religiously for 18 months. I then realised two things.

1. Its NOT a cure for Hair loss which means you're singing in into a life contract.
2. It doesn't promote HEALTHY new hair, if anything it stops the hair fall and just about maintains what you have.

But what I thought sucked the MOST, if you stop using it then you go back to square one and all you hair falls out.

Thats exactly what happened to me. I stopped using it and all my hair went. So I got super obsessed and WENT into deep research mode
to find a natural simple solution that will stop hair fall, put the breaks on DHT, stimulate the hair follicles and promote healthy new hair.

And like MAGIC its worked. Through a PERIOD OF TRIAL and error and determination I have found the secret combination to GROW your hair back, Iit's INSANE. Got a ton of pictures I can show :)

SO LET ME ASK YOU?
------------------------------
1. Have you tried anything else since then?

And I think I may know the reason why it may have stopped...

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it can stop working. Is Minoxidil the only thing you have used?

T

Toms

Thanks Bigmac, it´s the only thing I use, not in to taking pills so propecia is out. I think minoxidil is probably still doing something so will continue using it but the effects are not as good as the first couple of years.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
It's well known that if any hair is gained through using Minoxidil... or even if its helping maintain for that matter that if the minox is stopped then the hairloss will return.... but always wandered how fast this process actually happens....does the hair fall out quickly or is it a gradual process.....or is each person different?

H

hairlosssecrets

yes hairloss does return if you stop minoxidil. I think it will be different for different people. Toms instead of Minoxidil you should try
some essential oils with a dema roller - which will stimulate the hair follicles and increase blood flow to the scalp. And the added bonus is zero side effects.

C

Coopman

Valued member
I had excellent results with Minoxidil, but once i stopped the shedding started after approx 6 weeks and lasted for another 6 weeks.
I gave up as i could not be bothered rubbing it into my head twice a day.

If i was younger i would have continued using Minoxidil but i get good results from Finasteride and it has maintained my hair since i started in 2001.

Have you tried adding Nizoral to your regimen? Before i started using Finasteride in 2001 i used it as a stand alone treatment and noted it had a thickening effect by adding density to my hairs on my hairline. I used it every day and left it in my hair for 5 minutes before washing out.

Minoxidil will overtime reduce the efficiency of promoting hair growth or maintaining the hair cycle. So, overtime, even if minoxidil is used twice daily hair loss can still continue. But at a much slower rate than if not used at all. Many find they stop minoxidil and hair loss dramatically increases, unfortunately this hair is often lost permanently as the hair follicles shuts down. some find they can maintain their result and reduce the dosage of minoxidil over the years, slowly going to once a day and less. This should be done over months and monitored any increase in hair shedding. But, ideally try to keep to twice daily. Finasteride, as most know has a few unpleasant side effects but these only effect a minimal % of men. There is a herbal alternative, saw palmetto that many use and has reported being beneficial.

T

Toms

That s my fear Coopman, I don´t want to stop in case I see a big shed and can´t get the hair back. I haven´t tried Nizoral, I thought it was for flaky scalps like dermatitis. I´ll check it out, thanks. I´m tossing up whether to get a transplant at the moment but whatever I think I will continue with minox. Thanks G.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Nizoral is a shampoo for flaky scalps etc but for some reason it does make hair look a little thicker....does with mine as well. It doesnt give any growth or anything but can make hair look fuller. Hair Dr suggested Saw Palmetto and I agree this can help.....on that note I actually stopped Finasteride at one point due to us trying to conceive for our third child which actually took a considerable time....during this time i used a product called folligain hair stimulating supplements and these contain saw palmetto and other herbal ingredients and they worked very well....probably as good as my Finasteride tbh....maybe worth a shot

H

hairlosssecrets

That s my fear Coopman, I don´t want to stop in case I see a big shed and can´t get the hair back. I haven´t tried Nizoral, I thought it was for flaky scalps like dermatitis. I´ll check it out, thanks. I´m tossing up whether to get a transplant at the moment but whatever I think I will continue with minox. Thanks G.

I know how you feel

hair loss is a complicated problem

let me share my story with you

please be aware

I am not a doctor, a surgeon or have a hair loss clinic

I am just a normal guy who had the same problem as you and found a routine that works please see my images

I used Minoxidil for 1 months, then I got nasty side effects

headaches and chest pains

anyway I went deep into research mode and created my own natural routine

it wasn't smooth sailing - as you will see from my story

when I first started the routine, it was only essential oils I was using to stimulate the hair follicles..

it was during a very stressful time in my life..

one evening I was working late in my office. I was on my 3rd cup of coffee, when I noticed a ton of hair falling on to my desk.

I was shocked..

The feeling of hair loss was terrible.

I was so angry, I called my wife to blame her for all the stress she was causing me ( ofcourse this wasn't true, but I needed someone to blame)

She didn't say much - anyway when I came off the phone she sent me a video to watch..

Thats where I had my first aha moment! the video was all on essential oils and natural herbal remedies like pygeum and saw palmetto..

I realised essential oils act as a topical - similar to Minoxidil and the herbal remedies acted as dht blockers..

The oils stimulate blood circulation to the scalp. The herbal tablets inhibit the production of dht.

so I went CRAZY and bought lots of oils and herbal tablets and started using them..

For the first week or 2 - it was great..

I had stopped hair shedding..

BUT then I hit a plateau!

And I couldn't see any more changes and I couldn't figure out why?!

So I went back to the drawing board..

Then it hit me!

Try the derma roller I thought to myself. I KNEW the derma roller increases cell production and also increases blood circulation around the scalp,

GREAT! so I added it to my routine..

Then over the next few weeks I saw new hair grow..

Then guess what happened..

I hit another Plateau again...

ahh this was so annoying .. once again I couldn't figure out why!

To be honest, at this stage I was starting to give up!

I SAID to myself I am chasing an impossible dream - HAIR LOSS IS A GENETIC PROBLEM!

Days passed!! Then I had another epiphany!

What if I add an organic anti hair loss shampoo to the mix

So I did .. and guess what happened next?

YEP new hairs started growing again

Do you see a pattern here!

This process carried over a period of 18 months until as you can see from the images - I went from a NW4 to right about now a NW1

this is a true story by the way

So I realised..

hair loss is a complicated problem and there isn't one pill, shampoo or derma roller that will fix t..

BUT instead..

A combination of things, I needed to do EVERYDAY progressively over a period of time..

Good Luck with everything..

Before

After

R

reddwarf

Using the foam stuff effected my blood pressure and made me have dizzy spells so i stopped it, does anyone know why?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Minox gave me an irritable scalp that was sore and itchy.

As minoxidil acts as a vasodilator it will naturally create an increase in activity in the skin. Generally the foam is kinder to the skin compared to the liquid traditional minoxidil solution. The active ingredients can cause some irritation to the skin, especially if you naturally suffer from sensitive skin anyway. You can patch test, use a little in an area to see if you have any negative reaction.

H

hairlosssecrets

Using the foam stuff effected my blood pressure and made me have dizzy spells so i stopped it, does anyone know why?

Here's the truth.. and a simple one for you..

Minoxidil was originally created to treat high blood pressure..

So if you think about it, that kind of explains all the side effects that come with it

... bottom line, its a terrible hair loss solution.

S

steve loca

hello
im very confused , i already buy the package from amazon , I've read à topic about minoxidil and I wanna try it but now ..

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
I think lots of post hair transplant patients use it to create quicker growth of the transplanted hairs and it seems to help shock loss hairs recover quicker. I think any medication can lose its effectiveness over time, hence they bring newer ones out, although hair loss does not seem to have made any proven advancement as far as I can see.

T

Toms

I started the nizoral shampoo, I mix it up with my normal shampoo. I find it makes my hair a little dry but will give it a go for a while more. If I get a hair transplant I will get back on the minoxidil properly before and stay on it twice a day.

H

hairlosssecrets

I think lots of post hair transplant patients use it to create quicker growth of the transplanted hairs and it seems to help shock loss hairs recover quicker. I think any medication can lose its effectiveness over time, hence they bring newer ones out, although hair loss does not seem to have made any proven advancement as far as I can see.

So you are very right in what you are saying. Medication can lose its effectiveness over time.

I used Minoxidil for 18 months. Initially it worked. Then I stopped it after experiencing side effects. Then my hair fell out again after stopping.

So even though I also too thought hair loss hasn't made any proven advancements either

My wife suggested I tried, Essential oils combined with herbal supplements.

Which I did and over 18-19 months look at my progress.. NOT PERFECT but you can see hair has grown back.

=======
Before

After

So my suggestion if you are very serious about solving this problem

STEP 1 : order pygeum and saw palmetto

STEP 2: start daily excessing and meditating to combat bodily stress

STEP 3: order these oils below

Inexpensive 7 essential oils from amazon. Mix them up and use them as a (non chemical) topical solution.

They work EXACTLY the same way Minoxidil does. ( But only more effective and without the side effects )

The oils are:

Rosemary
Clary Sage
Ylang Ylang
Lavender
Cederwood
Peppermint
Black seed
Jojoba
Organic castor oil

QUICK COMPARISON

Minoxidil : is understood to work by widening blood vessels and allowing more oxygen, blood and nutrients to the hair follicles.

COMES WITH SIDE EFFECTS

Rosemary + the other oils : increase circulation of blood in the scalp provide hair follicles with nutrients and oxygen needed to promote hair growth.

COMES WITH ZERO SIDE EFFECTS + cheaper to buy!

Good Luck Bro