• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Mr T

M

Mr T

Valued member
Hey people, not many of u might remember me, apart from PB, Spex, Dr Feller

But will update you all with pictures very soon

For now, I just need some advice regarding bht. Is it a waste of money, how many success stories are there and who is the best to go to?

The only reason I am asking is because although I have enough doner for a HT I dont really want to use any more scalp doner, plus I have shit loads of body hair to get rid of, haha ;p

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
This is a tough question to answer. Personally I still believe that it is a waste of money. Not that you can't get results, but I really believe that the yield is less than 50% from what I have seen unless you go with beard hair. So if you negotiate price based on fact that yield is questionable than it might not be a waste of cash. Keep in mind that FUE itself with scalp hair is still up for debate in some cases, although more and more clinics are starting to demonstrate more consistent impressive results.

I don't really want to throw around names of clinics but certainly Dr. Umar comes to mind as someone that definitely has likely the most experience.

NN

Last edited:
Shang

Shang

Sheepish Member
I was actually thinking about this subject the other day and did a little research on it. From what I have read regarding BHT, no clinics are able to produce cosmetically consistent results with BHT. There seems to be a consensus among a number of surgeons that the body hair follicle is more susceptible to damage or injury since the hair usually takes far more effort to remove when compared to scalp hair and this is why yields in many circumstances are below 30%. However, I am aware that a number of reputable clinics perform BHT, so??? I think NN is spot on in regards to what he said about a negotiated price, yet I think BHT are actually more expensive, correct me if I €™m wrong. Moreover, the characteristics of body hair are very different when compared to scalp hair and in most examples ive seen it looks like pubic hair.

Last edited:
D

drmwamba

Valued member
Hi Mr T,

BHT has not demonstrate consistent results in every patients.I do perform it on a frequent basis.Harvesting it is not a problem if you got enough experience (idem for FUE).

The big problem is the variety on response from patient to patient .The yield vary from 30 to 90 %.And it is very risky.

First indication for me is when we running out of donor.Those patients don't have any choice and they do recover hope .

I have great outcome with scar treatment by BHT

Is it worthy to try it if you have available donor?

I will say no because it could be a waste of money.If money is not an issue , then you can try it .

There is also the possiblitiy to do a test (200 grafts to make it significant in our assessment) .Second option is the FIT farming solution;replacing scalp hairs by BHT to preserve donor and it gives you a hint about growth rate of your BHT at the same time.

You got the source of your BHT that also plays a role.beard ,my favorite,chest the most use right now,pubic ,arm pit,legs (fine and good for hair line),tigh ,back.

The big job right now is to categorise the BHT and try to come up with guide lines.Among doctors who perform it in a regular basis ,you have Umar,Dr A , Dr Cole ,Dr Mwamba .

I do have a patient who did the same approach as you (money wasn't an issue) .We had some improvement at 6 months .

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
I am glad to see a doc chime in on the subject and his answer was a very fair and open response. Obviously if money is not a concern than a person might as well go for it--assuming that they have scalp donor depleted.

Keep in mind however, the cosmetic appearance is often sub par to scalp. (just my opinion) I honestly believe that I have yet to see a really natural appearance with a large amount of BHT being used. To me it is nice for scar repair and small crown work. I believe that at this point it is a desperate move like us guys that got plugs years ago just because we wanted hair. I am sure some won't agree with my statement but prove me wrong with video and digital images presented in proper lighting.

In terms of pricing, well.... I just believe that it is not "fair" of the docs to charge a person for 2000 grafts given than it is very likely he might get 1000. I am sure that it is likely discussed upfront with the reputable clinics mentioned above but nonetheless I believe a person should pay for what actually grows.

NN

M

Mr T

Valued member
wow! thanks guys, but I think I really need to think about this one...
i'm actually thinking about going back to feller and having the crown area sorted using my remaining doner supply via strip, and if at a later stage i need more coverage then will use beard hair from another doctor...
but until the us dollar currency improves against the british sterling, i have loads of time to think about what i'm going to do.

i will as promised write about my experience regarding hairloss over the weekend with photos also...

thank you

timuk

timuk

My member is cooler than NN's
Hi Mr T...

Yep, I remember you from awhile ago.. welcome to the forum..

Yep, the dollar thing is a pain at the moment... was going to suggest you have a look at the European clinics on here as they are producing some great work... but then remembered the Euro.... crap at the moment also !!

Good to see you posting here.. look forward to your pics..

Cheers

Tim

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Mr T.

Welcome to the forum mate.

Be great to see you document your journey so far.

Hope you are keeping well and find the answers to your questions on here.

bm.

Lucky

Lucky

Bollocks
Nice to see you again Mr T, I remember you from a year or so ago.

Hope you doing ok mate

the B spot

the B spot

Pick your Poison!
Beard Hair.

IMO-- that is the only real body hair that we can:

#1. legitimately project to regrow at a very high percentage
#2. Have seen some proven regrowth (if only because the clinics promoting such use are using beard hairs in such a manner that we can see the difference in scalp or beard hair.

I like the idea of using the beard hair as "filler" or taking Dr. M's idea of donor farming with beard hair

I think beard hair into scar tissue is an excellent option as well.

Again, it just depends on how far one is willing to go---- I am really disheartened by patients who allow a doctor to remove 2-3K of grafts from their facial region, without even doing 50-100 test extractions just for scarring purposes.

Personally, I would do right under the chin and under the jawline ---I think I could get maybe 500-600 grafts that way. I have really nice beard hair---kind of a reddish/brown--matches my actual head hair rather well. I would love to take these hairs and put them into my scar---would be interesting to see what happens.

Now if I can talk Dr. Shapiro into doing this...... :)... he isn't sold.

Jason

NotGoing2GoBald

NotGoing2GoBald

Hey Mr T,

I remember you! Z:B I read your posts, on this thread, but none of the responses (yet). I'm not clear yet, why would you opt to use body hair PRIOR to using up your donor hair? AFAIK body hair transplants are at best in the expiremental stage, and when your considering something w/as many variables as ht's why roll those dice? Not only can the yield be significantly dicey, but it can grow in PERMANENTLY wiry and bizarre, so as to not fit in and appear as normal scalp hair.

Not trying to sound like a negative contrarian here (I don't even have to "try" I just do) but it seems to me, although I don't recall your specific case and don't know why you would first use body hair prior to depleting the donor in your scalp, that this is an unnecessary gamble and one I wouldn't personally
reccomend.

PS if you want to get rid of body hair:

wax
laser
shave

in order of utility/reasonability.
*shaving causes stubble and isn't conducive to certain "endeavors" IMO. :)

Last edited:
M

Mr T

Valued member
lol

thanku for ure kind words, considering bht but am also considering a 3rd strip ht with dr feller