• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Slightly worrying side effects of oral finasteride

JasUK

JasUK

Hi all,

I'm nearly 44 years old, and have started to be affected by the dreaded hair loss curse (suppose I have been pretty fortunate so far).

After watching an episode of the The Hair Loss Show on YouTube, I decided to bite the bullet and take a generic oral finasteride from a UK online pharmacy (not sure if this was the best idea).

I have taken one every odd day for around a week, and noticed slightly worrying side effects (orgasms are muted and I feel pretty drowsy). The drowsiness may be caused by other issues though.

I looked into PFS and that really concerned me too. Some are the cases sound horrific!

Is this something to worry about? Can I take oral finasteride once a week and still get some benefit?

Anyone experience similar issues?

After doing some research, it seems topical finasteride can cause exactly the same side effects too, so there appears to be no easy solution.

This is a real shame, as minoxidil and finasteride seem to be the most effective treatments based on the research I have done.

Any thoughts and input seriously appreciated.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
You could start off trying a lower dosage every day or so to see if the symptoms go away. Some people experience sides for the first couple of weeks and then they go away. If they go away, gradually increase the dosage.
If you have concerns it`s advisable to speak to a health professional.

JasUK

JasUK

You could start off trying a lower dosage every day or so to see if the symptoms go away. Some people experience sides for the first couple of weeks and then they go away. If they go away, gradually increase the dosage.
If you have concerns it`s advisable to speak to a health professional.

Thanks, may give that a try.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Keep us informed how you get on and if you get any medical advice.

Alien Spyder

Alien Spyder

Sorry that your having concerns and some issues with the Finasteride.

I tried the minimum dosage for a total of three weeks and had to stop.
The sexual side affects were frightening and I'd rather shave my head that not be able to enjoy a normal sex life.

It works for some people but it didn't work for me which was unfortunate because I really wanted it to work.
I did a lot of research and made the decision to see my physician and get a prescription.

My doctor told me that I had to take it every day or else it would not be effective. He said that DHT is pretty stubborn and
it needs strong medication to block it.

Just my .02

JasUK

JasUK

Keep us informed how you get on and if you get any medical advice.

Will do. I've asked my GP for his input, but think I may need to consult with him privately due to the cosmetic nature of the problem.

JasUK

JasUK

That is very useful information. I'm sorry to learn, though, that you were also suffering side effects.

Yes, I think you came to a reasonable conclusion.

These guys seems to think 3 times a week is enough:

What have you done since? Have you tried another DHT/5-alpha reductase blocker? Did you try topical finasteride?

Alien Spyder

Alien Spyder

Unfortunately over the last 5 years I have tried just about everything.

I have decided that I'm not a fan of internal medicine for hair loss especially prescription meds. It's just my personal decision.
In the past I've go the Saw Palmetto, Biotin & Finasteride route and nothing seemed to work.
I'm 57, in great health and I take no medications either RX or over the counter and I'd like to keep it that way.

I know that topical solutions eventually get into the bloodstream but for about 4 years or so Minoxidil was working for me.
I believe it helped me maintain but I saw no results of new hairs growing thicker and stronger.
I believe it allowed the new little vellus hairs to live but they never got big and strong.

I just posted on some threads here about some of my recent issues with Minoxidil.

I'm going in for an FUT procedure tomorrow morning.
The Doc said I have a great head of hair in the doner region and he doesn't think I'll ever loose it so he thinks FUT would be the way to go.

Between the transplant and then continued use of nourishing shampoos and conditioners, my laser cap and probably minoxidil I'll have some fairly decent hair for the rest of my working career and maybe into retirement..........if I live that long. :cool:

JasUK

JasUK

Unfortunately over the last 5 years I have tried just about everything.

I have decided that I'm not a fan of internal medicine for hair loss especially prescription meds. It's just my personal decision.
In the past I've go the Saw Palmetto, Biotin & Finasteride route and nothing seemed to work.
I'm 57, in great health and I take no medications either RX or over the counter and I'd like to keep it that way.

I know that topical solutions eventually get into the bloodstream but for about 4 years or so Minoxidil was working for me.
I believe it helped me maintain but I saw no results of new hairs growing thicker and stronger.
I believe it allowed the new little vellus hairs to live but they never got big and strong.

I just posted on some threads here about some of my recent issues with Minoxidil.

I'm going in for an FUT procedure tomorrow morning.
The Doc said I have a great head of hair in the doner region and he doesn't think I'll ever loose it so he thinks FUT would be the way to go.

Between the transplant and then continued use of nourishing shampoos and conditioners, my laser cap and probably minoxidil I'll have some fairly decent hair for the rest of my working career and maybe into retirement..........if I live that long. :cool:

I see. I sense Saw Palmetto is like snake oil.

Yes, certain medications can cause or exasperate hair loss too I've discovered.

Another thing I recently discovered is that shampoos with sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and/or sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) in them (the foaming agent) can cause issues too (most shampoos have that chemical in them these days).

Best of luck with the procedure. I hope everything goes smoothly! Keep us posted on how you get on.

M

mazalov_an

Hi JasUK,

I experienced similar issues with Propecia. Whilst it doesn't cause problems for the majority, it's important to remember it's certainly not a benign medication. I think you just have to ask yourself whether you're willing to take the medication in perpetuity, or there isn't really much point getting started again as any progress would be largely reversed upon cessation, be it next year or in a few years. I suppose you could argue that going back on the medication might buy you time, as I'm hopeful other drugs not too many years down the line could take over without the same side effect profile. I guess that's just up to you.

Whilst you do of course run the risk of losing more hair without medication, many surgeons I've spoken to wouldn't see that as grounds to rule someone out for surgery. It's just obviously riskier and perhaps left as late as possible so that the pattern of recession is easier to predict.

The main thing is you discuss whatever you do with your GP (medication-wise).

Best of luck.
Maz

JasUK

JasUK

Hi JasUK,

I experienced similar issues with Propecia. Whilst it doesn't cause problems for the majority, it's important to remember it's certainly not a benign medication. I think you just have to ask yourself whether you're willing to take the medication in perpetuity, or there isn't really much point getting started again as any progress would be largely reversed upon cessation, be it next year or in a few years. I suppose you could argue that going back on the medication might buy you time, as I'm hopeful other drugs not too many years down the line could take over without the same side effect profile. I guess that's just up to you.

Whilst you do of course run the risk of losing more hair without medication, many surgeons I've spoken to wouldn't see that as grounds to rule someone out for surgery. It's just obviously riskier and perhaps left as late as possible so that the pattern of recession is easier to predict.

The main thing is you discuss whatever you do with your GP (medication-wise).

Best of luck.
Maz

Thanks for your thoughts, Maz.

Yes, the thought of having to take finasteride for many years to come does concern me, especially if there are some suggestions that my system is not tolerating it well. In the meantime, I'm going to try topical finasteride to see if i tolerate that a little better, but that is a bit pricey.

Hair transplant surgery costs a fortune, and I can't see myself affording that in the years ahead, so a tricky situation. Hopefully the prices will come down, though, as the technology etc. develops.

P

Pete89

Thanks for your thoughts, Maz.

Yes, the thought of having to take finasteride for many years to come does concern me, especially if there are some suggestions that my system is not tolerating it well. In the meantime, I'm going to try topical finasteride to see if i tolerate that a little better, but that is a bit pricey.

Hair transplant surgery costs a fortune, and I can't see myself affording that in the years ahead, so a tricky situation. Hopefully the prices will come down, though, as the technology etc. develops.
Where are you getting the topical finasteride from? I have looked online but can’t seem to find anywhere that sells it?

JasUK

JasUK

I bought it from MinoxidilMax (can't post the link due to site restrictions). It wasn't cheap, and the shipping rates to the UK are hefty, so I don't think it's a long-term option for me.

Morr-F appears to be a cheaper option, but I am not sure as to the quality of the product. It's available from United Pharmacies (UK).

M

mazalov_an

It's probably best to get Topical Finasteride prescribed by a doctor in the UK. The ones I've spoken to typically order it in from a pharmacy in Italy, where you can rest assured the quality of compounding is controlled. I think it would work out at around £50 per month if I remember the conversations I had with the doctor.

JasUK

JasUK

It's probably best to get Topical Finasteride prescribed by a doctor in the UK. The ones I've spoken to typically order it in from a pharmacy in Italy, where you can rest assured the quality of compounding is controlled. I think it would work out at around £50 per month if I remember the conversations I had with the doctor.

Yes, that would probably be ideal. £50 per month is a hefty amount though. What if you order in bulk?

Did you regular GP prescribe that, or do you have to consult someone else?

JasUK

JasUK

Breezula in many ways is one I'm banking on, but you have to retain a healthy scepticism until something's actually on the market.

Very true that. I think we also need to also bear in mind that minoxidil and finasteride have not really been beaten in their efficacy for many many years now. One can only hope though.

JasUK

JasUK

Here is an update of progress:

Clinical Treatments And Drugs For Hair Loss In 2020

TissUse & J Hewitt
– TissUse’s hair regeneration therapy is known as the Smart Hair Transplant or SHT which has been in development since 2011. In a familiar format, the SHT method seeks to take about 30 hair follicles from the back of one’s head and turn them into thousands of hair producing cells via culturing. In early 2019, the Japan-based company, J Hewitt, obtained a license to commercialize the SHT procedure. In September 2019, the CEO of J Hewitt announced his plans to conduct a 5 patient SHT trial by the end of the year. Due to complications in preparing the trial with a contracted cell processing company, the start date is now scheduled for late January 2020. J Hewitt’s CEO has made it clear he is committed to taking SHT to trial and proving whether it works in a timely manner. This initiative is possibly the most exciting development in the hair growth industry currently.

Follica – Follica’s FOL-004 treatment is scheduled to enter a pivotal FDA study in 2020. If successful, this final study would allow FOL-004 to become approved in the US and likely in Europe shortly thereafter. The first result photos from Follica’s wounding + topical combination surfaced on the internet in late 2019 and left audiences intrigued. An early estimation for FOL-004 to reach market approval is Q1 2021.

Samumed – The lengthy phase 3 trial of Samumed’s SM04554 is scheduled to complete in June 2020. The company will receive data from over 600 patients who applied its topical Wnt activator SM04554 on a daily basis for roughly a year’s time. Pending results, this trial could lead to the commercialization of SM04554 in Turkey and potentially the US. If approved, the prescription treatment would not reach patients until 2021 at the earliest.

Follicum – In their last major update, Follicum announced it is aiming to begin a phase 2 trial of its newly formulated topical FOL-005 peptide in January 2020. The trial will last around 3 months, so results from this important phase 2 should be available by summer 2020. This will be the first time the peptide will be trialed topically, so results from this trial are particularly important. Follicum’s FOL-005 will be looking to match or better results from its topical peers Breezula and SM04554.

Dr. Tsuji & Organ Technologies – It is anticipated that Dr. Tsuji’s fabled hair cloning therapy will enter its first clinical trial in 2020. A commercial release for this treatment in 2020 is extremely unlikely even with Japan’s expedited regulatory process. However, if Organ Technologies produces a successful initial trial in 2020, the ‘Tsuji hair cloning treatment’ could theoretically become available to patients in Japan within the next few years.

Stemson Therapeutics – The California-based hair regeneration company is within the scope of starting a human trial in late 2020. After launching their website and announcing an investment by Allergan in June 2019, CEO Geoff Hamilton told the media the company expected to begin trials in “about a year and a half.”

HairClone – HairClone continues to strive towards offering its expanded dermal papilla cell injections in the UK. Funding is required to create an MHRA licensed facility in which HairClone could prepare its cell therapy. Depending on the company’s ability to raise funds and create a licensed lab space, the DP cell therapy could potentially become available to patients in the UK by the end of 2020.

Cassiopea – The company developing the topical anti-androgen Breezula met with the FDA on November 13, 2019 to discuss the launch of a phase 3 clinical trial. The trial is expected to begin in Q1 2020 and is slated to last 6 months. As of now, results from this trial are estimated to read out in Q4 2020 and could lead to market approval in 2021.

Shiseido & Replicel – Replicel has recently stated that it is engaging Shiseido about releasing results from the RCH-01 trial which took place in Japan. As the results were due in 2019, it is virtually impossible to think that the holdout can last much longer. One way or another we will get clarity or closure regarding Shiseido’s trial in 2020.

Cosmetic & Over The Counter Treatments In 2020

Giuliani Pharma
– In September 2019, Giulani Pharma gave an update regarding the development of a WAY-316606 product for hair growth. The company decided to go for the cosmetic regulatory route and is researching several analog molecule equivalents to WAY-316606 to create a product with. According to a lead scientist at Giuliani, a small pilot human trial has been initiated with one of the candidate molecules and results are expected around the beginning of the new year. Regardless of how the first trial turns out, Giuliani has multiple molecules in their repertoire and is committed to seeing the research through. Look for an update on this development in Q1 2020.

Applied Biology – AB-103 is listed as a “minoxidil adjuvant therapy” on Applied Biology’s pipeline page. In late 2019, Dr. Andy Goren of Applied Biology has stated his company is planning to release this product in the form of a shampoo. This shampoo is designed to help those who do not respond to minoxidil to get a response and is expected to enhance results in those who are already minoxidil responders. An estimated release of the product is Q3 2020.

M

mazalov_an

Yes, that would probably be ideal. £50 per month is a hefty amount though. What if you order in bulk?

Did you regular GP prescribe that, or do you have to consult someone else?

£50 isn't cheap, but it is a small price to pay in knowing that you're getting something trustworthy and with the quality of compounding to give the best change of efficacy. I actually haven't used it, as my wife and I are currently trying for another child and I didn't fancy dabbling in this right now. However, happy to tell you which doctor I went through if you inbox me.