• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Two hair transplant failures

H

Hairloss181

Hey so basically I’m 20 right now and started noticing my hair loss at 17. That’s extremely young to be losing hair. My parents and I didn’t believe it was due to alopecia maybe it was a other problem but we got a biopsy done and it was alopecia. Needless to say we tried minoxidil for a decent amount of months,won’t lie I wasn’t very consistent with it. Then started looking into hair transplant. We met a doctor and did a hair transplant at 18 of 1500 grafts FUE. It didn’t work. We called the doctor multiple times through out the months but they kept telling us to be patient and let’s wait 10-12 months for full results. 10-12 months later we went back and they kept insisting some hair had grew but the look on their face said it all. It was a failure. My current hairs had only gotten longer. They offered a redo surgery in a couple months just so a year could fully pass by. Another FUE surgery happened and it’s been a bit over a year since the second one and literally the same thing. No results. Can’t even say I had high expectations the second time around. I’ve been using minoxidil for months hoping it might work now and I’ve been using it consistently and even that doesn’t work to be honest. My question is, what should I do? I have enough money saved up for another transplant but I really don’t want it to be a failure. Is there anything I can do that will actually work?

Arnold6

Arnold6

Sorry to hear you're going through this at a young age, it must be incredibly difficult for you. Was the Alopcia a certain kind? I'm surprised a clinic operated on you while in your teenage years. What I understand is that they wait until you're older.
What clinic operated on you?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Hairloss 181, it must be really tough for you right now having 2 hair transplants that have not produced the result you expected. 18 and 19 s very young to be having surgery.
How much hair loss have you suffered? Do you have any pictures you can post?
I think before you try another surgery you need to rule out the possibilities that may be causing the failed growth. Medical conditions such as low thyroid levels, scarring alopecia, or side effects from using certain medications such as anabolic steroids.
What has the clinic said to you regarding the poor yield from both surgeries?

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
Young hair loss is often then very aggressive, and as said here you are very young for surgery. I guess many clinics would have advised against it as your age and the danger is then chasing loss and the donor exhausts before the loss ends.

I do understand the pressure and the emotions behind the decision but hair loss is a long journey and needs to have careful planning in terms of surgery and medication etc. We have turned down several for surgery in the past two days who are in early to mid 20s for that very reason. Sorry to read of the poor outcomes you have had also. Who did the work?

V

Viking

Any photos Hairloss181? I was lucky my loss didnt really start until I got to my mid 20's then kicked in more at the age of 30. To loose your hair so young when you should be out enjoying life must be a tough pill to swallow.

S

ssimpson7511

Any photos Hairloss181? I was lucky my loss didnt really start until I got to my mid 20's then kicked in more at the age of 30. To loose your hair so young when you should be out enjoying life must be a tough pill to swallow.
That's still young, I started late 20's and that was bad enough. I hope everything works out for you Hairloss181, there's lots of different options to help treat MPB and lots to different things to help conceal it too.

P

Philwhitehouseuk

I always think that clinics always tells u to wait for so long so it covers there insurance
Just my opinion
I've had 3 hair transplants and never been happy with it

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Have you tried anything other than Minoxidil? I appreciate at your age you likely dont want to take Propecia/Finasteride for fear of side effects... but it might be one of the only ways to slow your loss if you've started at such a young age.

MrPierre

MrPierre

Having a hair transplant at a young age and not taking medication is incredibly risky. Hair loss is like a leaky bucket, you either need to try and plug the leak or slow it down, or be prepared to top it up again though with only 1/3rd of the water you had in the original bucket