• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Very Sad

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
I saw a guy the other day and his HT was terrible. It was one of those cases that you could have spotted 1/2 mile away. Ofcourse I couldn't help but check things out, but I was very discreet so that he did not know that I was looking. I wanted to know and understand what went wrong.

The unique thing about his guy is that it was definitely FUE which tells me that it was a more recent HT. There was no pitting or unsightly scars. The donor looked pretty damn impressive. He had a very short haircut. I am going to guess that he was shaved with a 3? Hard to say exactly but it was certainly short.

The thing is that the hair in the recipient region really stood out. I am not an expert but would have to guess that the drill used was too large, but it didn't explain why the donor looked great. The one thing that I can say with certainty is that the base of the hair was dark. The recipient hair did have a darker look to it where it left the scalp. The contrast was atrocious.

I don't believe that the person had groups of 3+ hairs as they certainly were not plugs but God it was terrible. I really felt for the guy. It was almost worse than the old style plugs because the coverage was extensive. He almost had full coverage but was ofcourse very thin. The fix would be so ludicrous because they would have to extract 4000 FUE or so... Really grim.

What a shame. Too many docs out there without skill. I can't necessarily call this physician a butcher because he did not maim or scar but he no artistic skill.

This guy might have had a chance if he constantly dyed his hair light blonde but other wise it was very sad. So important to research.

NN

B

Bastion

Drills are only used in the extraction process as far as I know. Was this guy fully grown out? as he may have had sub par growth or as you say made a sub par choice in doctor.

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
Bastion you are correct about the drills. My typing got ahead of my mind. I guess what I meant is that they used larger incision to correlate with the larger extraction. I guess possible poor growth is a consideration but it didn't look like it since everything looked totally uniform.

I believe what the problem was is that since the choice was to go with coverage versus density, they should have elected to use primarily single hair grafts or some doubles at best. I would have to guess that they used some 3's and 4's and it killed the outcome since there was no density for them to hide in.

My take is that it was a decent surgeon that just did not have artistic skills or foresight to think that all singles should be used because of the vast realestate covered. It looked like great harvesting, great growth, just poor result. A shame because I am sure it cost a pretty penny and it was as hideous (sorry to be crude) as the old 80's surgeries and as I said earlier, would be near impossible to correct.

Possibly a surgeon or tech can chime in on things? Is/was this a common mistake?

NN

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Its a shame that people are still getting work performed thats not up to scratch.

B

Bastion

Artistic skills are important, especially when having hairline work. Not much point getting a HT if it does not look natural.

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Poor guy. I agree it is very sad to see bad results on patients, especially considering it may be near impossible to reverse the work. Too bad we can't all see pictures of this guy to discuss if it is possible to make his head of hair look more natural. multiple corrective sessions with a single goal of naturalness may do wonders considering his donor region still looked good. You know he must have spent a fortune on his procedure that he prabably doesn't have the funds to correct and most likely he is distrustful of the ht industry as a whole. Too many patients feel they were "suckered" in by slick marketing and sales consultants. These type of clinics give this industry a bad name. You can't help but shake your head and wonder what the doctor was thinking in these situations.

NN, one thing I don't understand in your assessment that all singles should have been used throughout this patient's head. It sounds like poor planning of graft placement. Maybe i read your thread wrong? Its difficult to picture exactly what you are saying since I can only picture this guy in my head. But I have to say I don't recall ever that a procedure needed only singles unless we were doing just the hairline and temples. Even in these cases, some twos were utilized.

To make the top look more natural, he will likely need strip procedures by a very skilled physician. Then just a portion of the prior work need extracting rather than tackle the daunting task of reversing all transplanted grafts.

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
Thanks for the responses.

Janna,

I would guess that this guy was a NW6 and was given complete coverage. Because he had such extensive coverage with no density at all and he had very short hair (1 cm in recipient) the larger grafts stood out badly. In this particular case, would it not have been best for using singles and doubles? Maybe I am wrong. Possibly he had larger grafts and I am not aware but the donor was perfect. I am a little baffled, but the result was terrible. I do know that.

NN

W

wylie

Valued member
When you see a guy who has been butchered from multiple strip surgeries, and as a hair transplant physician you are unable to harvest body hair to use in a repair strategy then, quite honestly, there is nothing you can do to repair this patient.

The right physician can oft times make good progress towards a repair by the artful use of body hair, however, which not only adds density it provides camouflage to the shoddy work.

W

wylie

Valued member
Nervousnelly wrote:
I saw a guy the other day and his HT was terrible. It was one of those cases that you could have spotted 1/2 mile away. Ofcourse I couldn't help but check things out, but I was very discreet so that he did not know that I was looking. I wanted to know and understand what went wrong.

The unique thing about his guy is that it was definitely FUE which tells me that it was a more recent HT. There was no pitting or unsightly scars. The donor looked pretty damn impressive. He had a very short haircut. I am going to guess that he was shaved with a 3? Hard to say exactly but it was certainly short.

The thing is that the hair in the recipient region really stood out. I am not an expert but would have to guess that the drill used was too large, but it didn't explain why the donor looked great. The one thing that I can say with certainty is that the base of the hair was dark. The recipient hair did have a darker look to it where it left the scalp. The contrast was atrocious.

I don't believe that the person had groups of 3+ hairs as they certainly were not plugs but God it was terrible. I really felt for the guy. It was almost worse than the old style plugs because the coverage was extensive. He almost had full coverage but was ofcourse very thin. The fix would be so ludicrous because they would have to extract 4000 FUE or so... Really grim.

What a shame. Too many docs out there without skill. I can't necessarily call this physician a butcher because he did not maim or scar but he no artistic skill.

This guy might have had a chance if he constantly dyed his hair light blonde but other wise it was very sad. So important to research.

NN
Sounds like someone gave him full coverage that was fully incomplete. The problem this guy may be suffering from more than anything is no one is telling him the work is f*%'d by todays exacting standards. The hope is he will find a forum like this one and post some pics, or at least LOOK at some pics and start researching what good work looks like.

The other factor is he really doesnt care. Probably more like "ignorance is bliss", but what constitutes "good" work is oft times subjective. Someone who was butchered does not need a full head of hair to feel that his hair looks good, whereas someone with little or no thinning may be hyper critical of every head of hair they see.

P

pluspoint

Sad reality and uncertainty that scares the hell out of me.