• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Weight Training prior to an HT

T

Turbo

Valued member
I have a FUE procedure soon and wondered if a week was long enough beforehand to give up my favourite hobby so that my blood returns to normality?

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
Hi Turbo

You should be okay ceasing a week before..I've trained prior to 5 out of 6 procedures, last one I didn't purely due to muscle injury but not for other reasons.

sl

sl

Depends on the surgery type, Strip and FUE have different implications, but FUE after 14 days you can start training again and then get heavier over the coming weeks. I've trained post my FUE surgeries without incident.

Strip really you need to be careful of not stressing the area from where the strip is taken from. Really for the first few months at least one must restrict excessive weights or anything that may cause the strip to stretch. We give more detailed instructions post op for both surgeries as to what can and can't be done.

Last edited:
M

martinvain

Valued member
Hi Stephen,

Does the same apply to cardio? I run 3 - 5 miles 4 times a week and should it be ceased a week prior to having a procedure?

Also, how long afterwards is it safe to resume?

Thanks.

sl

sl

Hi Martinvain.

Running prior is not a major problem and a few days rest prior to surgery will not cause any obstacle. It's important to keep blood pressure as low as possible for the day and come off any vitamins etc that can cause blood thinning etc, but excercise per se with anything major have a few days rest. It's not only about blood pressure but also to avoid things whereby the head may get trauma and affect surgery. I always stopped kicked boxing and weights a good week before to avoid injury to the scalp or any bad muscle pulls as you need to be able to be comfortable for long surgery hours. One can't eliminate all risks but limit where possible.

Runnning after with FUE, guys resume 15 days post no problem. If you are having strip then longer as again the running will put considerable vibration through the neck and scalp area and may cause stretching if done too early.

But on the whole it's about a common sense approach.

Sparky

Sparky

Valued member
so I guess i'm free to do any excercise I want at 81 days post op.

P.S no real growth yet incase you were wondering.

sl

sl

Hi Sparky

Certainly at 81 days I can't think of anything that will cause problems in terms of sport.

You grew well from the last op and I am sure this time will be the same. It can even change week by week from personal experience but you can't expect too much yet but keep us posted.

Sparky

Sparky

Valued member
not even at the 3 month mark yet on my hairline. Would still be hoping for more in the scar though, I wouldnt say they have all grown yet.

H

hairtech

I agree with Stephenl on all posts concerning pre and post op... work-outs...

2 weeks post op is fine for cardio and/or resistance training. No problem... however a strip case MUST adhere to the clinics recommendations. Most clinics recommend a slow to return to full on massive activity a longer time period even after the suture and/or staples are taken out.

M

Mountain

Valued member
If you put major tension on your donor scar months after the surgery, you can stretch it. It takes about 9 months for most of the healing of the skin to take place in the donor scar, collagen formation, etc.

T

Turbo

Valued member
Hi all,

My weight training has begun again as I do not feel any pain and of course there will be no stretching due to it being FUE. Virtually all of the transplanted hair has now fallen out and all that is left is a little redness.

I won't be at "full power" for a number of months because over the last year my training had to be completely stopped as my previous strip surgery made the donor area extremely tight (I mean so that it was constantly pulling!) so indeed I had to wait many months before I could even risk any weights and even then I had to be sure that I wasn't pulling on the back of my head.

Sparky: I will be very interested to know when your hairline starts to appear as I am just coming up to 3 weeks from mine being done. From previous strip I think 4 months is realistic to see some 'early' growth. I had some hair transplanted into my strip scar also so hopefully you can see some movement in that area soon as well.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the update Turbo.Late reply by me.

Cheers bm.

topccat29

topccat29

29 year HT veteran
I trained up until a few days before my procedure. I did wait about 12 days before starting back up again and I kept it light, nothing over 600-700 lbs;)

Sparky

Sparky

Valued member
topccat29 wrote:
I trained up until a few days before my procedure. I did wait about 12 days before starting back up again and I kept it light, nothing over 600-700 lbs;)
Per arm doing curls yeah?