• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

After advice

• Thread starter Hoping_for_hair
  • Start date
H

Hoping_for_hair

Hi guys

Like a few people I've been following the forum for a while and found it a great resource and help watching you guys progress with your journeys. I've been debating going the transplant route for a while but I'd like to ask the experts, if I may!

Like a lot of us I've been losing my hair since mid 20s but never really wanted to face into it and hoping it would magically grow back! I'm now mid 30s and have been on finasterade and minox daily for around 2.5 years along with doing some laser treatments as well for the first year of that.

I think it's thickened up my hair (at least to me when I look at it, not sure the pics below do it justice. But my hairline is bothering me more and more. Over lockdown I let it grow a bit and managed a bit of a 'comb over' which did look quite thick, however there isn't much I can do with the hairline (looking at myself on zoom calls all day dosent help!) Especially as my hair naturally flops over from my left side so when I try and swoosh it over it highlights the low density area in the hairline and behind.

I've attached a few pics - two are from before I started any treatment and the others are just now - I buzzed it down to see what it was like and help me decide if I need to go for surgery!

(The latest ones are me directly under a bright light to see it in its worst state, so might not be fair to the first ones).

I've been speaking to some clinics who recommending around 1500 for hairline, temples and front 3rd and another 1000 or so for the crown.

My main focus would be the hairline as my forehead is a bit on the larger side already and not keen on it continuing to grow!!

What do you guys think? I worry my loss is a bit diffuse and don't want to risk losing existing hair if new ones are transplanted in.

Does that sound the right number of grafts? Or would you recommend any other approaches?

Cheers!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210206-165802~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210206-165802~2.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 156
  • Screenshot_20210206-165807~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210206-165807~2.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20210202_221219.jpg
    IMG_20210202_221219.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20210202_221227.jpg
    IMG_20210202_221227.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20210202_221230.jpg
    IMG_20210202_221230.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20210202_221451.jpg
    IMG_20210202_221451.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20210202_221455.jpg
    IMG_20210202_221455.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 185
P

Philwhitehouseuk

Hi mate
Looking at ur pics I would say u have alot of hairloss on top
My opinion is to stay on finesteride to keep what u have and maybe thicken up crown,deffo focus on fixing up hairline and med section,make sure u get a maturer hairline
Leave crown area for now until hairline and med section is sorted out
Or cut hair short as crown looks less thin when cut short while still having the transplant at the front and med section
The crown eats up alot of grafts
Remember a thinning crown doesn't look that bad when u are older
Focus on thinking how u will want to look in 10,15 yrs time

P

Philwhitehouseuk

The laser therapy is a waste of time in my opinion,u basically just get peach fuzz hair at the most,
U might think laser is working,but it is the minoxidil and finesteride are the ones that are making ur hair look slightly better
I'm just thinking about trying to save u money regards to the laser

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Hoping for hair.
It looks as though your hair has improved with your hair loss regime.
You are a Norwood 4, maybe heading towards a 5. Lowering your hairline is not a good idea as it´s not in a bad position now, it just needs to be refined and given better definition in shape, then work back as far as possible through your existing hair.
I think what you`ve been advised regarding a hair transplant sounds ok. You may need around 3000 grafts in total depending on what coverage they go for. Depending on your donor it`s possible to get more but I think you`d be ok with 3000 or less.
The meds should have stabilised any diffuse thinning. The doctor can check this during a consultation or before surgery if you went ahead.
I`d say stay on the meds. The laser is up to you, it could be helping, it may do nothing.
Which procedure are you thinking of? FUE or FUT?

H

Hoping_for_hair

Thanks Phil - appreciate the advice.

I think you are right about the laser - I started it all at once in that "need to do something so will try it all" moment. But since I stopped the laser after the initial 12 months i don't think it's changed much so like you say, sure it's the fin and minoxidil that was having the impact. I'd rather invest in something should make more of an impact,like a transplant.

H

Hoping_for_hair

Hi Hoping for hair.
It looks as though your hair has improved with your hair loss regime.
You are a Norwood 4, maybe heading towards a 5. Lowering your hairline is not a good idea as it´s not in a bad position now, it just needs to be refined and given better definition in shape, then work back as far as possible through your existing hair.
I think what you`ve been advised regarding a hair transplant sounds ok. You may need around 3000 grafts in total depending on what coverage they go for. Depending on your donor it`s possible to get more but I think you`d be ok with 3000 or less.
The meds should have stabilised any diffuse thinning. The doctor can check this during a consultation or before surgery if you went ahead.
I`d say stay on the meds. The laser is up to you, it could be helping, it may do nothing.
Which procedure are you thinking of? FUE or FUT?
Thanks Bigmac

Agreed, I don't want to do anything drastic like massively lowering my hairline and much rather focus on getting it more defined and age appropriate.

Would you recommend filling in the temple points to help with that effect of the hairline?

I'm in two minds about the crown, it does bother me but know it can eat up a lot of grafts. However I then think if I am going to commit to it all, head shave, time off and recover etc. Then would it be best to try and get as much coverage as I can in one go.

I am thinking of FUE as I would like to minimise time off work and don't like the idea of the scar even if it would be hidden under longer hair. Mainly thinking of the future and if I'd need to keep my hair shorter as I get older etc.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
You could go for a thinner covering in the crown, then add hair fibres if you want a fuller effect. This will allow for more grafts to go in the frontal half.
I do like temples being done as it helps define your face more with your new hairline.
When you had laser treatment were you visiting a clinic or have your own at home?

P

Philwhitehouseuk

Strip surgery is out dated now
Yes clinics still do it and sometimes u can get a nice pencil thin scar,but in most cases strip scars always stretch so u cant have hair cut short
Deffo go for fue
Regards to temple points it's up to u
I always seem to think temple points are a waste of grafts,to me temple points make hairline more sharp looking
It has to be as natural as possible
Yeah sounds like a good idea to try and cover everything in one go,should work but bare in mind the crown could still need a second pass
Just try to he realistic
I always think as u get older if u just keep hair short, create a natural hairline,maybe thicken up crown slightly,and grow stubble it all looks good
But that's just my opinion

H

Hoping_for_hair

You could go for a thinner covering in the crown, then add hair fibres if you want a fuller effect. This will allow for more grafts to go in the frontal half.
I do like temples being done as it helps define your face more with your new hairline.
When you had laser treatment were you visiting a clinic or have your own at home?
Yeah my barber showed me the fibres on the crown once and it did look.good - i tried them once in the hairline but find it got clumpy and obvious which put me off them (one of my old work.collegues used them too at the front which gave a very unnatural look) but if it's just the crown I could give them another go.

Thanks - I was thinking the temples would make a big difference for me, as I mentioned in the original post my forehead is on the larger side so anything to stop it creeping up and frame my face I would be interested in!

I did laser at a clinic to start with (part of a package with meds etc.) but like most that was early days of my research and thought surgery was going to be like £30k +. I prob should have just started fin and minoxidil on my own in hindsight and put the money towards FUE but hey ho I'm still happy the loss seems stable. I am also lucky as don't think I've really had any negative sides from fin.
I did buy one of those laser bands which was pricey (but cheaper than continuing at a clinic) but as I say I've kinda given up on it now as think it's the meds that have the biggest impact.

H

Hoping_for_hair

Strip surgery is out dated now
Yes clinics still do it and sometimes u can get a nice pencil thin scar,but in most cases strip scars always stretch so u cant have hair cut short
Deffo go for fue
Regards to temple points it's up to u
I always seem to think temple points are a waste of grafts,to me temple points make hairline more sharp looking
It has to be as natural as possible
Yeah sounds like a good idea to try and cover everything in one go,should work but bare in mind the crown could still need a second pass
Just try to he realistic
I always think as u get older if u just keep hair short, create a natural hairline,maybe thicken up crown slightly,and grow stubble it all looks good
But that's just my opinion
Thanks I appreciate the real advice and looking at most people's journeys often do need a second pass!

I also worry with FUT how they will get the fine singles like around the ear for the hairlines and hence FUE sounds more of a logical approach to get the right mix for a natural look

P

Philwhitehouseuk

We have all spent money on things for our hairloss so u are not alone
At least u have not spent loads of money on hair surgery that has made u look worse
U are in a good position mate, we are all on here to advise u ok
So
Fue,
Stay on meds,
Minoxidil is ok to use bit u might get fed up applying as u get older,I did
Go to a good surgeon,tell him everything that u want,
And remember to take ur time with it ok.
Dont jump into the first clinic who just says yes to all ur questions

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Dr Ron Shapiro believes laser therapy in conjunction with the meds does help some patients. If you have one, I would use it.
Fibers do work well on the crown. I used Nanogen fibers for many year. For hairlines I found DermMatch worked best.
Good to hear there's no sides with the meds. Hopefully, your hair loss is stabilised for many years to come.
Lots of people thought a hair transplant was £30,000 because of the news articles regarding celebrities. They like to throw a big number to help the headline get more attention.
What clinics are you thinking of using?

H

Hoping_for_hair

Thanks both!

I think you are right usual media over exaggeration to draw the clicks!!

I'll order some fibers to have a play around as well - never thought of trying concealer but will look at that too. Thinking it might help post any surgery while the hair grows out.

I'm based near Manchester and my preference would be UK not just with covid but I feel more comfortable that going abroad.

I'm thinking Farjo or Hair Dr. Both seem to have good reviews on here and from looking at their work seem to have more natural results than some of the others. Are there any others you think I should be considering?

T

Teh Daddeh

Valued member
I went to Dr Ball end of last year and could not recommend enough. He is very much focused on a natural hairline. Waiting for time to pass so I can post my story with actual results.

Personally, I would think that filling in temples would look unnatural as you age. But that is down to personal preference.

I would say that the meds appear to be doing wonders for you, particularly in the front. They have really strengthened that hairline.

You could consider body hair for the crown, perhaps. Not done it myself so would defer to others on here.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Here is what I`d say for your temples. It`s just defining and strengthening what`s already there, not bringing them down or forward. There are different types of temple restoration depending on people's hair loss patterns and age.

I had similar done to my temples when my hairline was strengthened.

Temple corners hair transplant.jpg

zakaria sabbahi

zakaria sabbahi

Hi guys

Like a few people I've been following the forum for a while and found it a great resource and help watching you guys progress with your journeys. I've been debating going the transplant route for a while but I'd like to ask the experts, if I may!

Like a lot of us I've been losing my hair since mid 20s but never really wanted to face into it and hoping it would magically grow back! I'm now mid 30s and have been on finasterade and minox daily for around 2.5 years along with doing some laser treatments as well for the first year of that.

I think it's thickened up my hair (at least to me when I look at it, not sure the pics below do it justice. But my hairline is bothering me more and more. Over lockdown I let it grow a bit and managed a bit of a 'comb over' which did look quite thick, however there isn't much I can do with the hairline (looking at myself on zoom calls all day dosent help!) Especially as my hair naturally flops over from my left side so when I try and swoosh it over it highlights the low density area in the hairline and behind.

I've attached a few pics - two are from before I started any treatment and the others are just now - I buzzed it down to see what it was like and help me decide if I need to go for surgery!

(The latest ones are me directly under a bright light to see it in its worst state, so might not be fair to the first ones).

I've been speaking to some clinics who recommending around 1500 for hairline, temples and front 3rd and another 1000 or so for the crown.

My main focus would be the hairline as my forehead is a bit on the larger side already and not keen on it continuing to grow!!

What do you guys think? I worry my loss is a bit diffuse and don't want to risk losing existing hair if new ones are transplanted in.

Does that sound the right number of grafts? Or would you recommend any other approaches?

Cheers!!
i dont know what to say to you , most ask you to use finasterade and minox but the quesstion whats gonna happend after you stop it , your hair gonna fall again its like u did nothing , i never recommend my patients to use it , i always said to them eat healthy and use natural things
and you sir you still can fix all that by doing hair transplant , and make your hair back ,its all up to you .

P

Philwhitehouseuk

Yeah u are correct stopping meds and minoxidil u will lose everything u gained
But that's all that's out there at the moment
Eating healthier and taking natural things like ??? Do work but is it cos it makes u feel better,not sure
Hairloss is difficult to get hold of and fix
The only options are -
Meds and transplants and maybe smp.
Other than that shave off and move on with ur life
Yes it's hard I know but it saves u so much worrying
Trust me I know