• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Are there any potential risks or side effects with Hair Transplant Surgery?

V

Viking

Hello my names Pete, I'm new to all this and know very little about hair transplants. Does getting a hair transplant carry any risks and can people get any side effects after having one?

Shera

Shera

Hi Pete,

Hair transplant surgery is relatively low risk but like any other surgery there are open wounds that are at risk to infection. Therefore you need to be careful to follow the clinics post op hygiene routines. I work for a clinic myself and we do take this very seriously.

So basically as long as you are careful you should be clear of infection,

As for side effects, the answer is no. It may take a few months for your nerve endings to repair themselves in the donor area following FUE surgery but that's about as far as gets. In the meantime you might feel some discomfort or sensations but hardly painful.

Following surgery you are likely to be prescribed Minoxidil and Finasteride (1mg). The Finasteride can cause side effects in a small number of patients. If so it is wise to reduce the dosage, the frequency and if problems still occur then its best to stop altogether. The Minoxidil spray can cause irritation to some patients but switching to the lower alcohol content foam version usually resolves this.

Hopefully when all your hair is grown out, a side effect that might occur is the additional female attention your new locks get you, lets hope so!

For further info on good monthly growth etc you can check out my old thread in the link below.

https://www.hairlossexperiences.com/threads/my-fue-with-dr-tejinder-bhatti-oct-2014.5059/

JohnB

JohnB

Naa, there is no side effects or anything really. You just need to be careful about infection and protect your grafts in the beginning. But I assure you there is nothing serious about it. Only, if you use Finasteride, it is said that it kills your sex drive but it is not a common problem.

I think what you should be careful with it, planning how you want to do it. There are many successful clinics and methods but it requires some research, dedication and patience to find your ideal surgeon. I think the biggest risk is choosing a clinic where you get too many grafts and you are convinced that the result is amazing. The trick is using the least possible amount while getting a natural and dense look. Also, you have to plan ahead too because if you use too many grafts for the first surgery when your hair loss progresses, you need another surgery but don't have hair supply left because an excessive amount of hair was used in the first surgery.

I think the most important part is finding a surgeon you can trust because there is a good chance you will going back to him after years. If you want to read more, this article is very useful to build a strategy to get the most out of your hair transplant journey.

S

sachin771

There are very low chances of risk in hair transplant surgery. All you have to do is take some precautions after surgery for the recovery period. But if you have a diabetic condition and you are having high blood sugar levels then there may be increased risks of infection after surgery.

Prohairclinic

Prohairclinic

Prohairclinic FUE and SMP
Fue has extremely low risk if carried out by an experienced team.
Fut is more unpredictable when it comes to infection and scarring.

S

sachin771

Fue has extremely low risk if carried out by an experienced team.
Fut is more unpredictable when it comes to infection and scarring.
Yes, you can say that FUE surgery recovers fast & has low risks as compared to FUT.

R

Radiance Cosmedic Centre

Yes, FUE hair transplant surgery is low-risk transplantation treatment, if it is carried out by well-experienced hair surgeon.

Prohairclinic

Prohairclinic

Prohairclinic FUE and SMP
I personally had both procedures done, 1 FUT and 2 FUE.
FUT feels like a real surgery with the pain involved afterward. FUE feels more like a dental treatment to me, just a much longer day.

FUE is the patients choice and if carried out by a well trained and experienced team gives equal or better results compared to FUT.

DanielaAbdulla

DanielaAbdulla

Unluckily, there are many side effects of hair transplants. Itching, swelling and numbness are common and could be overcome with the passage of time but yes, there are also many severe side effects if you go with a non-professional hair expert.

D

Dazzster26

Valued member
Hi Pete

The words I want to put here is very simple , if your going to get a HT then do your research and ask many questions as possible , a Reputable Clinic Surgeon with proven track records and results is the way forward , you can always ask the question on here and I am sure the members will always give good advice. Side Effects as Daniela Abdulla describes I had all over them but I had the support of this forum and the Clinic I went to

All the best Pete

D

drkrishanarora

Side Effects after Hair Transplant
  • bleeding.
  • infection.
  • swelling of the scalp.
  • bruising around the eyes.
  • a crust that forms on the areas of the scalp where hair was removed or implanted.
  • numbness or lack of sensation on the treated areas of the scalp.
  • itching.
  • inflammation or infection of the hair follicles, which is known as folliculitis.
But it can be cured with the help of proper medication.

R

Risingforehead

Just how common is infection after a transplant then?