• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

FUT Surgery Tomorrow 7/29/20

Alien Spyder

Alien Spyder

I get the stitches out on Monday afternoon and I can't wait.
Their rather annoying throughout the day but in the evening and at night when I'm trying to sleep it's to the point where thy are painful.

I also have a lot of questions for the Doc about how the procedure went and to get his opinion on how I'm doing.

Monday can't come fast enough.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
It is a relief once you have the stitches removed. Some parts may still be tender, especially if you have any inflammation but the doctor can give you something for that.

Alien Spyder

Alien Spyder

It is a relief once you have the stitches removed. Some parts may still be tender, especially if you have any inflammation but the doctor can give you something for that.
I got the stitches out yesterday. Getting them cut out was a little painful but it was worth it.
It was instant relief!

Alien Spyder

Alien Spyder

So the Doc says I can start going on with my life as normal. The donor area looks great and the top of my scalp looks exactly as it should.

Presently there is no sign of any post op Shock. He told me that if I do experience shock loss of hair that it is a temporary condition. Hopefully things get better for me rather than worse.

He said I can start using Minoxidil again. That will help maintain all of my original hairs on the top of my head.

I told him I plan on using a reputable nourishing shampoo and a quality conditioner. He said it's probably not necessary to spend to much money on gimmicky shampoos and conditioners but that I should shampoo just a few times a week and use a conditioner as well.

He says I can go back to using my laser cap regularly as well.

It'll take anywhere from 4-6 months before I start seeing positive changes with my hair.

I'll report back with my progress.

Alien Spyder

Alien Spyder

OK, here's a three week update.

During the last week I did notice a good amount of shedding. I believed it was the 1900 hairs that were transplanted dyeing like their supposed to but I have a feeling there is some shock shedding in there too.

I've heard about the "ugly duckling stage" where thinks don't actually look right and I think I'm there.
To be honest with you the top of my hair has never, ever looked this bad.

I'm hoping (and praying) that this is the worst that it gets.

To combat any shock shedding right now I'm using Minoxidil twice a day and I'm using shampoo & conditioner every other day.

As far as the donor section goes, the scar is very itchy. I'm doing my best to not scratch it. Luckily the hair in the lower back of my head is so thick and long, if there is any shock shedding in that area nobody will ever see it.

I have faith in my doctor when he tells me that by Christmas I'll be like my old (or young) self again.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Put some Aloe Vera gel on your donor closure to alleviate the itching. Minoxidil can cause shedding as well as aid faster growth. You just have to cope as best you can and before you know it, new hair is growing and improving all the time.

Alien Spyder

Alien Spyder

I find it hard to believe that it's been 30 days since my FUT procedure so here's an update:

The donor scar no longer hurts like it did until I got the stitches out on day #12. Now it's just itchy.

I do my best to not itch it but if I make the mistake and itch it, it gets out of control annoying.
Tonight I almost took a benedriyl to dull my senses so it wouldn't bother me.

Hopefully this itching goes away with time.
Sleeping on my car or sitting in a reclining chair while resting my head on my scar is annoying.

The very crown of my head itches as well but it's nothing like the itch of the scar.

All of the shedding I've experienced when I showered over the last 30 days or so is just about over.

No signs of any new growth from the implanted follicles.

I had to get a haircut about a week ago because the sides and back of my head were out of control.
My wife cut my hair and she did a great job meshing everything in well.

To this day, my hair still looks fairly normal and I'm sure nobody has a clue that I had a hair transplant.

I'm glad I got the procedure but I can't wait for the itching to stop and the new hairs to mature.

S

Sammmuel

thanks for sharing your experience in such detail. It is worth to us, thinking about ht.

Alien Spyder

Alien Spyder

I found an interesting article on itching after a hair transplant.

Itching after any scabbing is normal and eventually will go away.
It explained why we itch but doesn't really go into detail about how to go about
relieving the itch.

I may have my wife put a little aloe on it tonight.
During the day when I'm busy it doesn't really bother me. It's only when I sit or lay quietly trying to relax that it really acts up.

Things could be worse I guess.......:unsure:

Alien Spyder

Alien Spyder

So it's been about 40 days since the date of my procedure and I have to say my hair is looking pretty bad.

As you can see I've got some pretty big gaps in there with nothing.

I just got back from taking a ride on my motorcycle and when I walked in the door my wife was rather shocked and told me to look in the mirror at my hair. During my ride I got off the bike twice. Luckily both times I immediately put on a baseball cap because I had a feeling the hair might be in pretty rough shape. I had no idea it would look this bad.

My wife wanted me to call my surgeon and ask what's going on but I told her that it's the result of shock.

When I style my hair I do my best to hide the bare spots but it's getting harder & harder to cover up all those empty spaces. Thank God I went into this with a pretty good head of hair.

I really hope things start to turn around soon. On September 28th it'll be 60 days since my procedure. It's gotta start turning itself around. I hope.

Attachments

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Things can look worse when shock loss happens. All you can do is cope with it the best you can. You could use a concealer if you’re out in public without a head covering.
Some people don’t experience growth until the 6 or 7 month mark. Shocked hair usually returns quicker than this.