• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Hair transplant - DHI Glasgow

T

The Last Modernist

Valued member
Hello !

I'm due to undergo my first (hopefully only) hair transplant next weekend and will be sharing my experience here.

I'm 44 and have been losing my hair since my mid 20's. The process was stopped, and dramatically improved, by using minoxidil foam and finasteride tablets for the past 8 years. I also use hair fibres which I apply using the pump action toppik dispenser (shaking it on is only good for the crown - the hairline needs the precision of the dispenser). All in all it gives a decent look but I'm restricted to the one style and it does take a bit of time in the morning to get it right.

I have been holding out for the "miracle cure" for baldness for a while but I've been waiting too long now and elected to go for the transplant.

Looked into a few of the Turkish clinics which no doubt do a good job but the thought of travelling after the procedure held little appeal.

I met with Alex from DHI in Glasgow and he conveyed what they could do. My initial concern was that focus was on the process rather than the specific Dr who would be performing the procedure. However, on looking into it a bit further the process, utilising choi pens for the insertion of grafts, looked effective.

Reassured by the process I still wanted to meet the Dr who would be performing the procedure and Alex arranged this.

After my meeting with Dr Epameinondas Bonaros I was reassured by his professionalism and general demeanour so I booked in for 25/8.

The intention is to densely pack the front but I'm also keen for them to lower the hairline a bit to break up the expanse that is my forehead. Dr Bonaros didn't seem keen to go too low for fear of making it unnatural, but will discuss further on the day.

I've attached some photos of my hair as it is. There's a bit of gel in it so it's a bit more "see through" than normal. Would never go out with it like this- the hair fibres make a big difference.

Will keep you posted !

Attachments

• IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,123
Last edited:
T

The Last Modernist

Valued member
Photo 2

Attachments

• IMG_0356.JPG
    IMG_0356.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,129
D

Dazzster26

Valued member
Hi Friend

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your experience with us, will be watching out for your updates , when I went for my 1st HT the Dr then was not to keen to lower the hairline as well which made sense looking back , its a massive step to start with getting this done and its always best to see how things work out for the best , I revisited the same Dr 2 year later and lowered the hairline , take things slowly mate this is one of the biggest decisions you will make in in your life and its life changing , I wish you all the best with great recovery and growth.
Daz

T

The Last Modernist

Valued member
Thanks for the supportive words Dazzster

T

The Last Modernist

Valued member
Had my transplant today.

Was quite/very nervous beforehand and wisely informed Dr Bonaros that I had passed out before whilst giving blood and during minor procedures. He immediately put me at ease and said that whatever happens, will happen but that he is very experienced and had seen it all.

During the initial injections he spotted that I was holding my breath which, in hindsight, was probably the reason I'd passed out on previous occasions. I steadied my breathing and the whole process went smoothly thereafter. His confident and friendly manner was invaluable in making what I thought would be a difficult process into something that was entirely manageable.

I'm also very happy with the hairline. Thought that I might need to debate how low it was to go but his first outline matched my expectations.

So, here's my before and almost immediately after photo ....

Attachments

• IMG_0360.JPG
    IMG_0360.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,124
T

The Last Modernist

Valued member
After

Attachments

• IMG_0361.JPG
    IMG_0361.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,118
D

Dazzster26

Valued member
Hi Friend

Congratulations on your HT ¬b` you done well to come through it after your initial anxiety , now you just got to be patient and take care of yourself and of course them grafts , wishing you great recovery and growth dont be afraid to reach out on the forum if you have any concerns or worries their will always be someone here who can help all the very best

Daz

C

cmsct26

Hello! How much did you pay for it? I'm considering doing it there.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
How's everything looking now? You should be healing up nicely and returning to your pre op state.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Welcome to the forum dude, good to hear everything met your expectations during the surgery and that you were treated with great care having suffered anxiety regarding injections in the past.
Would love to see an update if you have time pal.
take it easy BN;)

T

The Last Modernist

Valued member
Returned back to work 2 weeks after the op which was just the right amount of time for it to look decent as scabs took about a week and a half to fall off. It was still quite red but the modest use of fibres covered it up really well. The donor area was mildly red but not really noticeable.
I actually went and got the sides and back shaved in after 2 weeks as I thought it would look better than just a buzzcut. It did.
Here's a pic as it is now, 6 weeks since the op. Think I've only shredded about 30% so far. Hopeful at this stage that might be all I shed.

Attachments

• IMG_0390.JPG
    IMG_0390.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 971
T

The Last Modernist

Valued member
Here's what it looks like with a touch of hair fibre ...

Attachments

• IMG_0383.JPG
    IMG_0383.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,039
Last edited:
T

The Last Modernist

Valued member
Almost at the 6 month mark. Happy with results so far. Looking back on old photos really highlights the difference.

Attachments

• IMG_20190216_183715.jpg
    IMG_20190216_183715.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 981
  • IMG_20190216_183637.jpg
    IMG_20190216_183637.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 838
T

The Last Modernist

Valued member
For comparison, this was me 8 years ago before Regaine, Finasteride and then surgery.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190216_184204.jpg
    Screenshot_20190216_184204.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 827
bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Shit man that's incredible dude! Looking at the latest picture youve posted showing what you looked like 8 years ago you really have turned things around. Good for you pal, really happy for you :)

Your HT looks awesome too at the six month mark, thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Looking great at 6 months. You’ve had great growth so far.
What are your friends and family saying?

Thanks for the update.

T

The Last Modernist

Valued member
Thanks gents.

Feedback has been resoundingly positive. Very glad I went through with it.

B

bultai

Almost at the 6 month mark. Happy with results so far. Looking back on old photos really highlights the difference.
Great work mate! Please, may I ask
a) How much did it cost & time taken to perform your surgery and how many grafts were implanted?
b) When you left the surgery post transplant, did you cover your hair with a hat or similar in public place?
c) What was DHI's aftercare program and how soon after the surgery you visited for post care?

Thanks for your help in advance