• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Topical Min & Fin - https://hair.forhims.co.uk/our-treatments/

D

djkillab

Valued member
Sorry to hear you had sides from the oral Fin as it sounds like it was working for you.

I tried it 15y ago. Got sides within a month so had to stop it and didn’t dare try it again.

It’s atleast promising to here you got no sides from the topical after 6m of use.

As you say it’s hard to judge what the topical did. I’m guessing the initial shedding was you losing the gains from the first 6m of using oral daily. Then it’s uncertain if the continued loss was a continuation of this because the topical wasn’t doing anything for you. Or that initial shed some say they get when the first start using Fin.

Did you lose much hair when you first started the oral daily?
I didn't notice any sides until around 4/5 months.

Yeah it's difficult to tell unfortunately. I didn't really get much shedding when I first started the oral fin if I remember rightly. I'm just really hoping that a brand change and taking 1mg every other day won't produce any sides, as its clear that my hair loss is going to continue and will make my transplant pointless

J

JFR8

Valued member
I didn't notice any sides until around 4/5 months.

Yeah it's difficult to tell unfortunately. I didn't really get much shedding when I first started the oral fin if I remember rightly. I'm just really hoping that a brand change and taking 1mg every other day won't produce any sides, as its clear that my hair loss is going to continue and will make my transplant pointless

It does complicate any HT aswell. If I make gains and then move donor based on those gains, what if I subsequently face side effects and have to stop the Fin. That eventuality would have to be considered when planning any HT to ensure there was sufficient donor left to reasonably mitigate.

R

Ronnie

How have you been getting on @Ronnie ?
Hi

Apologies, I had totally missed this.

So, I used this for about 6 months and I genuinely think it worked. Easy to apply, actually worked OK as a styling aid, I was totally happy with it. I also added oral Minoxidil to my regime, initially Loniten, then switched to the one from Manual.

I have however recently stopped this and am giving oral Finasteride another go (continuing with oral Min too). When I first started taking oral Fin (1mg per day) I thought I had no sides, but then at some point they seemed to appear. I came off it for a week then started again, but just 3x per week. All seemed much better for a while, but then eventually I felt the sides returned. That’s when I switched to topical.

I have now switched back to oral Fin and am taking 0.5mg every other day. Been at it for 2 weeks now and so far so good, no sides, if anything I’m feeling particularly great in that department! TBH I am not that big (no, not like that!) and I’m also nearly 47 so am likely to have lower testosterone levels now anyway (so less to convert into DHT). A lower dose for me is probably what I need anyway. I’m really hoping that this dosage ends up being sustainable for me, as I understand that even this dosage, it retains much of it’s effectiveness.

Just to be clear, I didn’t switch back to oral due to concerns that the topical was ineffective. On that front I would definitely recommend it. The reason was that, despite how easy it is to apply, it is still something to be done every day and it’s then on your hair. The ideal solution is to just gulp a couple of tablets down each night then it’s done and I can forget about it. It’s the cheapest and easiest way, IF you can tolerate the side effects. That is the dream, a solution so easy that I don’t have to give it a second thought. The topical I’d recommend, BUT, it does require more effort for the rest of your life.

Hope that helps.

J

JFR8

Valued member
Hi

Apologies, I had totally missed this.

So, I used this for about 6 months and I genuinely think it worked. Easy to apply, actually worked OK as a styling aid, I was totally happy with it. I also added oral Minoxidil to my regime, initially Loniten, then switched to the one from Manual.

I have however recently stopped this and am giving oral Finasteride another go (continuing with oral Min too). When I first started taking oral Fin (1mg per day) I thought I had no sides, but then at some point they seemed to appear. I came off it for a week then started again, but just 3x per week. All seemed much better for a while, but then eventually I felt the sides returned. That’s when I switched to topical.

I have now switched back to oral Fin and am taking 0.5mg every other day. Been at it for 2 weeks now and so far so good, no sides, if anything I’m feeling particularly great in that department! TBH I am not that big (no, not like that!) and I’m also nearly 47 so am likely to have lower testosterone levels now anyway (so less to convert into DHT). A lower dose for me is probably what I need anyway. I’m really hoping that this dosage ends up being sustainable for me, as I understand that even this dosage, it retains much of it’s effectiveness.

Just to be clear, I didn’t switch back to oral due to concerns that the topical was ineffective. On that front I would definitely recommend it. The reason was that, despite how easy it is to apply, it is still something to be done every day and it’s then on your hair. The ideal solution is to just gulp a couple of tablets down each night then it’s done and I can forget about it. It’s the cheapest and easiest way, IF you can tolerate the side effects. That is the dream, a solution so easy that I don’t have to give it a second thought. The topical I’d recommend, BUT, it does require more effort for the rest of your life.

Hope that helps.

NP, thanks for taking the time with the detailed reply.

It's particular comforting to hear you felt it was effective but you didn't see any sides, whilst you did with 1mg Fin tablets (so like me were sensitive to the tablet at that dose).

I'm also in my 40's, but over the last two years have really worked on my fitness. Dropped down to 12-13% body fat, done some HIIT to improve cardio and now started resistance training with a PT 4 times a week (body fat has gone up a bit as I need to eat, but still ~16%). Looking at my metrics like body composition and BMR my PT says I'm where he typically see's 30y olds, so the hard work has paid off. But my Testosterone levels will have gone up significantly, which may be another reason I've seen a change in my hair (anecdotal admittedly, perhaps its just turning 40 that made me think about it again).

The fact it remains on my hair is my biggest worry. I already use Regain foam so am used to a topical in my morning routine. Whilst the kids are at school its less of a problem, as I apply it after I've dropped them. And usually rinse my hair at some point before I collect them (fortunately I work from home). School hols will be more challenging.

But if it works, it will be worth the hassle. In any case its worth a shot before going down the HT route. Although if it does work I'm not sure I'll do a HT, because if I ever stop the Fin, I may end up with the an island of transplanted hair (after my gains with Fin dissipate).

My GP has agreed to do some Hormone bloodworm as a baseline and follow up in 6 months, so just waiting for those to be taken. Then its time to dive in and cross my fingers.

R

Ronnie

NP, thanks for taking the time with the detailed reply.

It's particular comforting to hear you felt it was effective but you didn't see any sides, whilst you did with 1mg Fin tablets (so like me were sensitive to the tablet at that dose).

I'm also in my 40's, but over the last two years have really worked on my fitness. Dropped down to 12-13% body fat, done some HIIT to improve cardio and now started resistance training with a PT 4 times a week (body fat has gone up a bit as I need to eat, but still ~16%). Looking at my metrics like body composition and BMR my PT says I'm where he typically see's 30y olds, so the hard work has paid off. But my Testosterone levels will have gone up significantly, which may be another reason I've seen a change in my hair (anecdotal admittedly, perhaps its just turning 40 that made me think about it again).

The fact it remains on my hair is my biggest worry. I already use Regain foam so am used to a topical in my morning routine. Whilst the kids are at school its less of a problem, as I apply it after I've dropped them. And usually rinse my hair at some point before I collect them (fortunately I work from home). School hols will be more challenging.

But if it works, it will be worth the hassle. In any case its worth a shot before going down the HT route. Although if it does work I'm not sure I'll do a HT, because if I ever stop the Fin, I may end up with the an island of transplanted hair (after my gains with Fin dissipate).

My GP has agreed to do some Hormone bloodworm as a baseline and follow up in 6 months, so just waiting for those to be taken. Then its time to dive in and cross my fingers.
Good luck!