• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

UK Hair Transplant Clinics

E

EFL2021

Good day everyone.

I`ve been searching around the internet looking for a top hairline clinic in the UK, mainly looking at clinic websites and Instagram. Then I stumbled across a hair loss forum with many clinics represented but only 2 from the UK. Anyway, I`ve been reading it for several days, searching for UK patients and clinics. Apart from the 2 clinics on there, I kept seeing a Dr. Ball mentioned repeatedly as being a top doctor, most other comments saying the UK is no good and to go elsewhere. There were less than a handful of Dr. Balls' patients I could find. I then came across this site after doing a Google search on Dr. Ball. I now see there is a multitude of UK clinics with Dr. Balls clinic being one of them. I`ll have my work cut out reading through all the posts.

About me.
I'm soon to be 35, I`m a transgender guy, It's finally time to go the next step and have a feminine hairline. I`ve been thinking of this the past year, hence I`ve been searching around the internet. Price wise I`m comfortable paying between £5000 and £8000 to the right clinic and estimate it will take somewhere in the region of 1500 grafts for what I desire.

I`m undecided on what the best procedure will be. I keep my hair long which would conceal the long scar and from what I understand would leave my hair with a fuller look than if I went for the single graft removal procedure.

Recovery time seems to be around 2 weeks for either option which is fine with me. I do have some concerns about the redness lasting a long time. I`m ok with this as long as I`m able to cover it up.

Now my next question.
Are there any UK clinics that are well known for feminine hairlines? This will give me a starting point and then I`ll read through all the clinics.

Thanks, Jordan.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Hey Jordan, I think you`ll find the forum a great resource and very supportive... Dr Ball from The Maitland Clinic is top notch as are many other clinics in the UK. People who say the UK is rubbish for hair transplants are incorrect, sure some are not very good, same as every country but you`ll find enough good clinics on here to make your own informed judgment.
If you look in the female section or search for transgender you`ll be able to view many female hairlines.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hello EFL.
Welcome to the forum. There are many good clinics in the UK. Look through the clinic's own sections on here and patient results. There`s plenty of excellent results.
Providing you have a good donor supply you’re probably a candidate for Strip or Fue. If you have long hair now the clinic will be able to lift your hair up, shave the donor area and let your hair back down to conceal it. Sleeping wise I would tie it up in a bun to prevent it from sticking to the extraction sites if you go for FUE. The front if shaven can be covered by combing your hair forward. This way you’ll be able to conceal the surgery and post op redness.
2 weeks should be ample time to recover.
Good luck with your research.
Bm.

JoeTillman

JoeTillman

Valued member
I'll respectfully disagree that there are many good clinics in the UK. There are multiple good clinics, but not many good clinics. In fact, I think that numerous clinics in the UK rival some of the worst clinics in the world, so I'd say it is an extremely wide spectrum of capabilities and talent that you'll come across, but mostly bad. For instance, look up Kyle Christie and the horrendous job he had done on him, where the excuse was, that the patient wanted what was given to him. Simply ludicrous.

Dr. Ball is indeed an excellent surgeon, absolutely world class, completely hands on, and one of the most meticulous surgeons I know with regards to looking after the details, the things that matter for the utmost in naturalness. Keep in mind, we have a professional relationship, but I don't work with anyone I feel is questionable on any level.

Doctors I don't have a relationship but seem to be very capable is Dr. Mark Tam. I must point out that the awards he has listed on his website are meaningless, so don't put any stock in those. In fact, most awards are meaningless. Also, his membership in the ISHRS is not awarded based on quality or competency. It is merely and educational organization. Nothing more. But going off of the results on his website, I don't see any red flags.

Harley Street Hair Clinic is very capable. I know the owner and I feel he's got the right idea about making sure the results are as good as they can be. He makes adjustments as they present themselves and he feels will benefit the patient.

Farjo is one of the better clinics in the UK as well. They've been around probably longer than any of the better clinics but I feel they rely a bit too much on the celebrity factor, where B list actors, footballers, etc. agree to full use of their likeness for promotional purposes. You can't blame them, really but I feel the work alone should be incentive enough for consideration, not who is on their patient roster.

There may be one or two that I've forgotten or don't know about, but that is about all you have to work with in the UK if you want to consider naturalness as the #1 priority. Keep in mind that you probably shouldn't look for male to female transgender results because it just isn't that common of a procedure. Focus on general female results and even then you'll have a hard time finding a large body of evidence from any single clinic. Most likely, having a consultation will give clinics more of an opportunity to show you what they can do as often times patients will allow use of their photos in private consultations but not in the public domain for promotion.

Oh, and final piece of advice, look to FUT and not FUE. You already mentioned that you will not have a short haircut and since females want a particular fullness to their hair, even when long, FUT will help to preserve what fullness you have and not reduce the density like FUE can.

Keep reading here and learn more about your options. It's a great resource.

Good luck.

P

Philwhitehouseuk

I had poor work from dr feller in 2008 and 2010
Bad angles and bad scarring
I was also sold on all uk clinics being poor but I got a bad result from a top doc from new York .
I could have been that guy who just had bad luck, as I know alot of guys used to rave about him????
Anyhow solid advice from joe

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Like the hair industry in general. The number of quality clinics in the UK is increasing. Quality varies, as do practices. Every country has good and bad clinics, the UK included. Rather than focus on clinics, when researching you should look at the doctor. Some clinics are run and owned by a Dr or Drs, some are employed by a clinic and others are freelance. As a result, they may potentially work in multiple clinics you research.
Start your research by checking out the Dr first, the results on the website and marketing correspond to the Dr and team that will be performing your hair transplant. Ideally, you can talk to former patients that used the same team. Especially if the Clinic employs multiple Drs or changes staff.
Also, check the practise of the Dr. The roles for performing FUT are clear. For example, the Dr would map out the donor, checking laxity and density etc. Then, excise the donor strip and suture the donor area. FUE should be similar, the Dr maps out the donor area etc and punches the grafts. It´s a role that is the responsibility of the Dr. The ISHRS for example made the distinction as it started to creep into the industry that technicians started to do the FUE punching. Then there are aspects such as hairline design and recipient site planning and graft distribution. Who performs these aspects of your hair transplant?
Then look at the Dr´s stance on hair restoration. Do they fit with your goals and expectations? Some Dr´s may be very conservative and others open to be more aggressive with planning. Like hairline designs, size of the procedure, age of their patients.
If the website for example reflects one Dr it is easier to research directly off their websites. Initially and then go into details when you contact a clinic. But if a website is corporate and reflects more than one Dr or when there is no mention of a Dr you need to go into specifics. Who will perform your procedure, do they do the FUE extraction, who makes the graft placement sites etc.
In my opinion, there is some talented hair transplant Dr´s in the UK. Not all go for being the best known. So, it´s important to do your research. I´ve been to many clinics around the UK and been able to talk with many Dr´s, some that post on my site and others that don`t.

L

LondonMayor

I'll respectfully disagree that there are many good clinics in the UK. There are multiple good clinics, but not many good clinics. In fact, I think that numerous clinics in the UK rival some of the worst clinics in the world, so I'd say it is an extremely wide spectrum of capabilities and talent that you'll come across, but mostly bad. For instance, look up Kyle Christie and the horrendous job he had done on him, where the excuse was, that the patient wanted what was given to him. Simply ludicrous.

Dr. Ball is indeed an excellent surgeon, absolutely world class, completely hands on, and one of the most meticulous surgeons I know with regards to looking after the details, the things that matter for the utmost in naturalness. Keep in mind, we have a professional relationship, but I don't work with anyone I feel is questionable on any level.

Doctors I don't have a relationship but seem to be very capable is Dr. Mark Tam. I must point out that the awards he has listed on his website are meaningless, so don't put any stock in those. In fact, most awards are meaningless. Also, his membership in the ISHRS is not awarded based on quality or competency. It is merely and educational organization. Nothing more. But going off of the results on his website, I don't see any red flags.

Harley Street Hair Clinic is very capable. I know the owner and I feel he's got the right idea about making sure the results are as good as they can be. He makes adjustments as they present themselves and he feels will benefit the patient.

Farjo is one of the better clinics in the UK as well. They've been around probably longer than any of the better clinics but I feel they rely a bit too much on the celebrity factor, where B list actors, footballers, etc. agree to full use of their likeness for promotional purposes. You can't blame them, really but I feel the work alone should be incentive enough for consideration, not who is on their patient roster.

There may be one or two that I've forgotten or don't know about, but that is about all you have to work with in the UK if you want to consider naturalness as the #1 priority. Keep in mind that you probably shouldn't look for male to female transgender results because it just isn't that common of a procedure. Focus on general female results and even then you'll have a hard time finding a large body of evidence from any single clinic. Most likely, having a consultation will give clinics more of an opportunity to show you what they can do as often times patients will allow use of their photos in private consultations but not in the public domain for promotion.

Oh, and final piece of advice, look to FUT and not FUE. You already mentioned that you will not have a short haircut and since females want a particular fullness to their hair, even when long, FUT will help to preserve what fullness you have and not reduce the density like FUE can.

Keep reading here and learn more about your options. It's a great resource.

Good luck.
What do you think of Dr Arshad? He has been getting rave reviews from his patients

JoeTillman

JoeTillman

Valued member
One thing I can say that I like about Dr. Arshad is that he listens to constructive criticism. We've spoken in the past and I made a recommendation to him regarding his photo gallery and he initiated the recommendation almost immediately, so props for that. As it stands today, I think he's got potential but has more to learn.

B

Baldingman23

Valued member
One thing I can say that I like about Dr. Arshad is that he listens to constructive criticism. We've spoken in the past and I made a recommendation to him regarding his photo gallery and he initiated the recommendation almost immediately, so props for that. As it stands today, I think he's got potential but has more to learn.
Can you elaborate on that please?

Last edited: